Ever have a disc issue?

matt890ca

Looking for past experiences with disc issues. Been having troubles with my back for the better part of the last year. It gets to the point when I get a sharp pain in the lumbar region then my legs basically loose all strength and I drop. This is followed by 2-3 days of horrible pain and stiffness. Not even a hope of getting socks on those days. 

Went to the doc, prescribed naproxen and cyclobenzaprine. Seems to help a little. Also order an MRI and referred me to a chiropractor.

The Chiropractor says it’s discogenic pain due to suspected infiltration of the “inner gooey stuff” pushing through layers of the disc cartilage and possibly a full herniation at some point (probably the times my legs go weak and I drop). L4 and L5 seem to be the culprits.

For treatment I have been doing the stretches and exercises the chiro prescribed, and taking the meds on the worst days. I have also been hanging from the top bar on the squat rack while hanging weights for spinal traction. Getting some relief from the traction if I do them first thing in the morning after struggling to get out of bed due to the pain and stiffness.

So to turn a long post shorter:

Have you had a disc issue in the past? Did it get better to the point of returning to normal functioning?(ie. can jog, shovel snow, do squats, etc.. again). How long did it take? How is the pain now?

...and now the bonus part. Have you tried Deca or another compound that increases collagen synthesis with much result? I’m about to start some low dose deca and really hit a rehab program with it.

• 7 months later...

Well, disc issues are serious in question of pain. But if u dont want to feel a lot of pain just sit on your knees and strach on your stomach (forwards). Its very very temporary solution. This help becaise theres a nerv between 2 of your disks and its pinched from them. This is where the pain come from. When you strach forward actually you are streching your disks and the nerv is getting more relaxed. Whatever I say here. The only REAL cure is operation. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 3:41 PM, Pump_And_Hump said:

Well, disc issues are serious in question of pain. But if u dont want to feel a lot of pain just sit on your knees and strach on your stomach (forwards). Its very very temporary solution. This help becaise theres a nerv between 2 of your disks and its pinched from them. This is where the pain come from. When you strach forward actually you are streching your disks and the nerv is getting more relaxed. Whatever I say here. The only REAL cure is operation. 

I have disc issues, boy do I have disc issues. The tech for my last mri asked me about that time I seem to have swallowed a hand grenade lol...The worst of it is at L5/S1. The best way I have been able to find relief is to sit on a hard chair,, bring my ankle across the opposite knee (I guess it would have to be the opposite knee lol) and then bend forward at the waist and try to touch my forehead to my knee and then alternate sides doing this. I do about 5 reps per side trying to stretch a little more each time.

The key though is core strength, The stronger everything around the discs is the less trouble they give you out of just incidental rubbish like not paying attention to your limits or chucking 200lb drunks out of the bar you're working far to often for someone your age lol...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pump_And_Hump said:

Yeah streaching is the only way that helps but only towards knees.. 

Indeed.

I also have a custom orthotic brace that I wear when I ride my e-bike. Sounds a bit funny something as tame as an e-bike lol but my ebike was clocked on radar at 110 km/h and there was throttle left lol. I dunno how fast it actually goes as I had to put it up until my back is in better shape again lol. The cop asked me if I was "F'ing nuts" and he was surprised he could get a good radar profile on a bicycle hahahahahaha...

• Haha 1