bebeav

Hex bar vs Safety squat bar

Ok so next week-end i'm gonna go and buy another bar for my gym.

I'm still debating between the Hex bar and a Safey Squat bar.

Any opinion on pro and con of each.

Hex bar is wonderful if you have low back problems/pain..Safety squat bar is only needed if you have shoulder injury that stops you getting hands on the bar

• Like 1

Hex bar is quite versatile although I am still on the fence as to whether the squat is useful....I would get the large version.SS bar is nice,very comfortable.

I've been in the strength game for 15 years now, i still see NO use for a SSB. I dont care how fucked up you are, there are still ways to work, and around nearly any injury, with a bar. If not, there are other alternatives that work well too. As for non-injury/actual strength training uses? Zero. Nothing that cant be done better on a plain ol' Olympic barbell. Buy the hex, while not my favorite either (i never use one), its still got its uses. Great for ego-lifting. Personally, if i needed a specialty bar, i'd buy a camber bar, for benching. Not one of those hokey welded up multi-ply PL jobs, but a real, bent-up style, Mike MacDonald type bar. VERY cool thing to have!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 9:20 AM, RRR said:

Hex bar is wonderful if you have low back problems/pain..Safety squat bar is only needed if you have shoulder injury that stops you getting hands on the bar

I had a frozen shoulder,couldn’t get into the squat position,SS bar provides the closest thing to a regular squat.

• Like 1

Didn't had the opporutnity yet, we are doing some major (at least for me) real estate investment and keeping funds for this, at least until things goes for the better. Will keep you updat when i get my hex bar

9 hours ago, eazy57 said:

There's always the leg press. A LOT of pro guys don't squat.

And most pro guys are quite gifted.And huge.Pak didn’t squat after a time.Overall benefits of the squat are huge compared to the leg press.

Although I don't have a shoulder injury, for some reason I am unable to reach back far enough to grab the bar. A safety bar helped me out with this, and I'm happy I bought it. I got it from bellsofsteel based out of Calgary and it's a great price.

If you have a way to get shipped from the states, the Titan fitness SSB version 2 is the best bang for buck ssb you can get. Almost identical to the elite fts (considered the best). These bars will sit perfectly and comfortably on your shoulders without hands even so you can do normal squats, lunges, Hatfield squats and good mornings. The key to a good ssb is the angle of the sleeves in relation to the handles

Tried split squats on a larger hex bar last night,believe balancing is a little easier than using DB’s.