Self medicating trt

Hey guys,

Just curious if any of you guys self medicate/regulate test replacement therapy? My doctor is infuriating me, getting to that point where I’m thinking about saying fuck it and just go at it on my own. Anyone here do that? Aside from psa’s and test results, anything else I should be keeping an eye on?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davis1891 said:

Hey guys,

Just curious if any of you guys self medicate/regulate test replacement therapy? My doctor is infuriating me, getting to that point where I’m thinking about saying fuck it and just go at it on my own. Anyone here do that? Aside from psa’s and test results, anything else I should be keeping an eye on?

I was put on TRT a few years ago by my family dr. Unfortunately, he didn't know what he was doing...dude was giving me 400mg Test E/week in the beginning lol. Shut me down good. Eventually I just did it on my own. Currently taking 200-250 Test E/week with 10mg pharma nolva ed and .25 pharma adex eod. He still lets get all my hormones checked twice a year, no questions asked.

• Like 2

My current doctor (because I'm not keeping her) is dead against AAS use, TRT, or any hormonal supplementation. Ya, she's relatively new. I don't believe she has a lot of experience with aging men, andropause, or other testosterone related issues. 

I let her know what I'm running and do it anyway. 

My new doctor may not be for prescription TRT, but they will most certainly be much more learned about it. 

I'd probably bump up my prescription anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eazy57 said:

My current doctor (because I'm not keeping her) is dead against AAS use, TRT, or any hormonal supplementation. Ya, she's relatively new. I don't believe she has a lot of experience with aging men, andropause, or other testosterone related issues. 

I let her know what I'm running and do it anyway. 

My new doctor may not be for prescription TRT, but they will most certainly be much more learned about it. 

I'd probably bump up my prescription anyway. 

As is mine. I moved to bc, my doc there put me on trt, then had to move back to Alberta where my current (and original) doc is a woman whose against it as well. Very unreasonable, wants monthly blood tests, cut my dose in half and only prescribed one vial at a time to control it. Also wanted to do my injections for me, which I shot down.

im thinking about just ditching her prescriptions all together, and just going about it on my own through my lab here on out.

• Like 1

If you know your normal dosage range and how you're body reacts....so your 'sweet spot', doing it self TRT is fine (yet not ideal).

One of the major things I'd do for self TRT if not getting all the bloodwork would be to regularly donate blood, as that's one thing you don't want to get too high/thick. Just lie on the survey and say you didn't inject anything etc. Even blood full of test is fine for patients, won't interfere or have a negative response.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'm seeing a trend. My new doc is a woman and she's the same way, dead set against it, old doc was a man and no issue. Lots of others I have talked to in the same boat. My doc even cited several times that T causes prostate cancer which we know is 100% wrong with only a couple of exceptions. She isn't even aware that we have guidelines in Ontario, Canada and those guidelines clearly state that I should get TRT but she supplanted her opinion over any medical fact and here I am!

I do. Been through the blood work, numerous times and referred to endo. But it was such a process and she wanted me to stay off everything for 6 months on top of the 3 I was already off. I gave up and just do it myself at 200mg test e /wk. monitor my blood work and learned how to withdraw blood on my own too to keep RBCs in check. 

• Like 1

Going through the process of all this right now. Test levels at 11 on a scale of 8.8-28.8. Endo said I'm in range so can't do anything about it unless I'm under 10. Blood test again this Friday to see if it's below 10. Tanking sleep on purpose before to try to lower it. 

If not, self prescribed it is I guess... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lionsfan4 said:

I do. Been through the blood work, numerous times and referred to endo. But it was such a process and she wanted me to stay off everything for 6 months on top of the 3 I was already off. I gave up and just do it myself at 200mg test e /wk. monitor my blood work and learned how to withdraw blood on my own too to keep RBCs in check. 

Have you noticed anything negative on your bloodwork since starting TRT? 

• Like 1

Rbc’s, hemocrit, hemoglobin will be elevated. So donating blood every 3 months fixes that. But I do that myself as I’m not permitted to donate bc of history of having Hodgkins Lymphoma. I’ll take out about 300ml a week before blood work and always comes back in check. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StraightSideways said:

Going through the process of all this right now. Test levels at 11 on a scale of 8.8-28.8. Endo said I'm in range so can't do anything about it unless I'm under 10. Blood test again this Friday to see if it's below 10. Tanking sleep on purpose before to try to lower it. 

If not, self prescribed it is I guess... 

That's the thing, I went through same with my new Doc. But what's going to happen when you dip below anyway, what, you'll get enough just to bring you back above 10 and then they cut you off again? That is what I suddenly realized with my doc even if I drop enough to get her on board it's doubtful she's gonna let me get high enough to really feel right anyway. What a PITA.  So 8.8 in the stupid scale we use in Canada is 253 in the scale everyone else uses lol. I have never been that low but at 9.4 or 270 I was in horrible shape, I don't even want to think about what I would have been like any lower. We do have guidelines from the govt for this stuff but these docs just seem to either ignore it in favor of their own opinions or don't even know about them. The guidelines are clear about this range not being the only factor and symptoms being important. Not to mention any trans can walk in, cite "informed Consent" and get anything they want. That's a real kick in the nuts, pardon the pun, for people like us. Not to mention CML/Lifelabs creates their range without a shred of clinical relevance yet we are judged by it...absolute nonsense!

Reading posts above. The “normal range” is not broken down by age. It’s anyone from 18-70 years old. So if you are 40 and at the lowest of normal, in my unprofessional broscience opinion that’s not normal. 

This is why why I TRT on my own. I was at the low end of normal 5 years ago at 35 years old.  You just do what’s right for you and be sure to monitor blood.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lionsfan4 said:

Reading posts above. The “normal range” is not broken down by age. It’s anyone from 18-70 years old. So if you are 40 and at the lowest of normal, in my unprofessional broscience opinion that’s not normal. 

This is why why I TRT on my own. I was at the low end of normal 5 years ago at 35 years old.  You just do what’s right for you and be sure to monitor blood.  

Excatly, the whole normal range, as defined by these labs is nonsense anyway. They take 12 months of data, throw out the top 2% and the bottom 2% and what is left is the range. So you end up with a great depiction of the results from guys who were there being tested because they were either already low or suspected to be so and some who were undergoing therapy and being tested again to evaluate results. 0 Clinical relevance.

Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum who is likely the world's leading authority on Fibromyalgia has a great analogy for this stupidity. the normal range of shoe sizes for women say are 6 to 10 and you were a size 9. If I give you a size 7 shoe and say there you go, you aren't going to have much luck with that shoe, wearing it, and then when you tell me it's not the right shoe and describe all your issues as a result of it not being the right shoe well I'll just respond with "But it's in the normal range so you should be fine. Now run along" lololol

• Like 3

Well, this was back in November when I asked this and I figured since I’m back now I’d mention that as of right now, my doctor hasn’t taken me off of it yet. She took me down to 1 cc every 3 weeks of test cypianate for the last 6 months and to do my bloods end of May.

Well the first 4 months I just did my own thing and doubled that because fuck her, and then I went down to her prescribed dose and did my bloods. I have an appointment with her tomorrow afternoon about the results, I’ll just say the usual “no sex drive wife hates me can’t sleep depressed blah blah blah” and see how it goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davis1891 said:

Well, this was back in November when I asked this and I figured since I’m back now I’d mention that as of right now, my doctor hasn’t taken me off of it yet. She took me down to 1 cc every 3 weeks of test cypianate for the last 6 months and to do my bloods end of May.

Well the first 4 months I just did my own thing and doubled that because fuck her, and then I went down to her prescribed dose and did my bloods. I have an appointment with her tomorrow afternoon about the results, I’ll just say the usual “no sex drive wife hates me can’t sleep depressed blah blah blah” and see how it goes.

I told my new doc something pretty much like that, except I left out the libido part as I didn't want her to have any ammo for any sort of claim of vanity, and she couldn't have cared less. I basically spelled it out for her exactly what was going to happen if we didn't get my levels up ie pain levels go up, pain meds efficacy goes down, no "little bit tired" about it if it is left long enough I'll be bedridden, mental state will drop down a deep dark hole and best case scenario I end up in the hospital. None of this is conjecture on my part as it already happened ONCE because after that my old doc and I kept it in check and my records show that. A few minutes later in the conversation she actually looked at me and said "Being a little tired and low libido isn't enough reason to go on Testosterone Replacement Therapy". I couldn't believe my ears but I'm stuck with her for now because of my other needs.

Been a day today though today. Found out my Endo referral that I asked for is end of January, First of February at the earliest and a clinic I was going to go to tomorrow for a consult might just as well be a "time share" seminar as that's basically whats gonna happen if I even bother to still show up for the consult. I asked my pharmacist to look into them because their website is really vague and when I called to ask questions I couldn't get any straight answers, all of which had my gut telling me nope, no way this isn't gonna be good., Anyway my pharmacist is the best dude, and he made some calls to other pharmacists I guess and they clued him in to the racket they have going where they are basically charging for stuff that could be billed to OHIp but they are calling it consultations and evaluations etc etc to getaway with it.They basically size you up at the consult and try to figure how much they can get out of you and try to sign you up for "packages" with the price getting better the more you buy lol.

So basically that means now that unless something else presents itself, as in my finding a new doc, I'm going to be doing this myself until at least end of Jan/Feb. At least now I know and can plan it out without being unsure in the time frame etc.

1 hour ago, Frank Castle said:

I told my new doc something pretty much like that, except I left out the libido part as I didn't want her to have any ammo for any sort of claim of vanity, and she couldn't have cared less. I basically spelled it out for her exactly what was going to happen if we didn't get my levels up ie pain levels go up, pain meds efficacy goes down, no "little bit tired" about it if it is left long enough I'll be bedridden, mental state will drop down a deep dark hole and best case scenario I end up in the hospital. None of this is conjecture on my part as it already happened ONCE because after that my old doc and I kept it in check and my records show that. A few minutes later in the conversation she actually looked at me and said "Being a little tired and low libido isn't enough reason to go on Testosterone Replacement Therapy". I couldn't believe my ears but I'm stuck with her for now because of my other needs.

Been a day today though today. Found out my Endo referral that I asked for is end of January, First of February at the earliest and a clinic I was going to go to tomorrow for a consult might just as well be a "time share" seminar as that's basically whats gonna happen if I even bother to still show up for the consult. I asked my pharmacist to look into them because their website is really vague and when I called to ask questions I couldn't get any straight answers, all of which had my gut telling me nope, no way this isn't gonna be good., Anyway my pharmacist is the best dude, and he made some calls to other pharmacists I guess and they clued him in to the racket they have going where they are basically charging for stuff that could be billed to OHIp but they are calling it consultations and evaluations etc etc to getaway with it.They basically size you up at the consult and try to figure how much they can get out of you and try to sign you up for "packages" with the price getting better the more you buy lol.

So basically that means now that unless something else presents itself, as in my finding a new doc, I'm going to be doing this myself until at least end of Jan/Feb. At least now I know and can plan it out without being unsure in the time frame etc.

Sounds like your doctor’s even more closed minded then mine. I disagree with your libido comment, only because that my low sex drive almost got me divorced (and is why I started TRT)so I put a huge emphasis on that. A healthy sex life is crucial not vane, and fuck anyone who says otherwise. If my doctor said or hinted that to me I’d be filing a formal complaint and definitely searching for a new doc and self administer but I don’t know your entire situation, but that’s how I feel.

I had a male doctor put me on trt, moved twice since then and have had 2 female doctors since and both are against trt. Feels biased

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobTheOldLifter said:

Just curious, if you followed instructions, what dosage are you 'supposed' to be on?

My original doctor a few years ago, through trial and error over 6 months (and blood work and actual conversation ) had me dialed in at 2cc bi weekly, (100/mg x2) which is where I felt good. He was okay with dosage, and actually listened to what I was saying.

Current doctor keeps cutting me down every six months, she currently only wants me doing 1cc every 3 weeks. Pretty sure tomorrow she’s going to try to take me right off of it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Davis1891 said:

My original doctor a few years ago, through trial and error over 6 months (and blood work and actual conversation ) had me dialed in at 2cc bi weekly, (100/mg x2) which is where I felt good. He was okay with dosage, and actually listened to what I was saying.

Current doctor keeps cutting me down every six months, she currently only wants me doing 1cc every 3 weeks. Pretty sure tomorrow she’s going to try to take me right off of it

Ugh, that ain't good.   Especially since it sounds like your first doc had you all nicely dialed in and actually listened to you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davis1891 said:

Sounds like your doctor’s even more closed minded then mine. I disagree with your libido comment, only because that my low sex drive almost got me divorced (and is why I started TRT)so I put a huge emphasis on that. A healthy sex life is crucial not vane, and fuck anyone who says otherwise. If my doctor said or hinted that to me I’d be filing a formal complaint and definitely searching for a new doc and self administer but I don’t know your entire situation, but that’s how I feel.

I had a male doctor put me on trt, moved twice since then and have had 2 female doctors since and both are against trt. Feels biased

@Davis1891

Oh no bud I fully agree with you on the Libido thing, trust me, my wife is ugly as hell about it. I just meant that I read my doc as likely trying to use that against me as a vanity thing, not that important (her attitude made me feel that would happen) and 100% not that it wasn't important. As a married guy too I know where you are coming from 1st hand ! We are definitely on the same page I was just trying to end run around her shitty attitude.

6 hours ago, KetoMuscles said:

I would throw the libido thing out there at every chance.

If a middle aged woman was sitting in her Dr's office on her big fat butt blubbering about her dried up vagina and her husbands cute little secretary that's always giggling at him you better believe hrt would be a go for her.

A healthy sex life is the key to a healthy marriage.  Use that angle imo.

100% agree. I didn't have any reason to think that this new Doc would be an issue until I saw her attitude pull a 360 the minute I mentioned the TRT. She definitively has bias against men in this area. So means to an end it seemed like the best way to deal. Turns out it didnt help a damned bit anyway so....and she did exactly what i thought when she threw the being a little tired and low libido at me like it was meaningless....looking for a new doc now  as this wont change sooo...

Edited by Frank Castle

On 11/25/2018 at 9:26 PM, Davis1891 said:

Hey guys,

Hello brother

On TRT for the last 2 years! ( with prescription ) in my job I have no choice and it was a pain! I have multiple blood test every year and need to be in normal range . since I start TRT my blood is extremely normal I will say better then before , you just need blood check every year then virtual colonoscopy every 2 year after 40 yrs ( or at least every 5 year) and the magic give blood 

3 times a year ( that keep Ematocrit ) in range! 🙂 

cheers

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 6:15 PM, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

and a clinic I was going to go to tomorrow for a consult might just as well be a "time share" seminar as that's basically whats gonna happen if I even bother to still show up for the consult.

Just wondering...did you go to this consult?

• Like 1