Oshawa to close GM plant

Local Dipshit

Anyone else hear this news regarding GM to close the Oshawa plant? 2500+ workers, Pretty sad as old Jabba the Ford says Ontario is open for business? He is scrapping the energy bill as he did and remember how Tesla sued over this due to their electric cars. Well GM wants to go electric too as rumours have stated by 2023 so you think this has anything to do with it? Our governing is so fucked. This will be a hard hit when Oshawa closes that plant, if indeed true. 

Edited by ElectricRocker

Yea i heard last night... this is going to be horrible for that area.  My thoughts are that they waited to see if Canada was going to lower tax rates and surprise surprise our money hungry PM not only did not lower taxes but promised a huge carbon tax.  These companies see a lower tax rate south of the border and not all this bullshit carbon taxes and we wonder why they are leaving??  I honestly don’t think this will he the last to go you’ll see more unfortunate for those people dependent on those jobs

2 minutes ago, Frank.Castle said:

Yea i heard last night... this is going to be horrible for that area.  My thoughts are that they waited to see if Canada was going to lower tax rates and surprise surprise our money hungry PM not only did not lower taxes but promised a huge carbon tax.  These companies see a lower tax rate south of the border and not all this bullshit carbon taxes and we wonder why they are leaving??  I honestly don’t think this will he the last to go you’ll see more unfortunate for those people dependent on those jobs

Yep you nailed that on the head. Ontario is closed for business 

I live in the next town over from Oshawa. This will be a huge blow to the local economy. It's already poor in many areas there. I'm not sure it will devastate the area as new investment (not to that scale mind you) seems to be moving in. 

Many people are moving further and further east as housing costs in Toronto are simply un-affordable for most people. 

Trudeau, Wynne, and Liberal governments are on the wrong side of the equation when it comes to taxation and big business. We are now in a global workforce. The MUST adapt or many manufacturing jobs will disappear. Although I don't think they give a damn to be honest. 

• Like 3

@eazy57 they don’t give a damn they just care about taking everyone to death and demonizing big business and anyone who makes a decent living.  When all you hear is business has to pay more those who can pay more must pay more blah blah blah businesses and people that make money are usually those employing the most amount of people... but yea let’s keep beating on business making it harder for them and we can all be wards of the government and have no jobs... who will pay the tab then?

17 minutes ago, ElectricRocker said:

Yep you nailed that on the head. Ontario is closed for business 

It’s not just Ontario, look at what they’ve done to Alberta... they bought a pipeline just so they could bury it in red tape and never build it.  These idiots care more about teaching kids there is 26 different genders than keeping an economy going.  All this touchy feely crap doesn’t belong in government.... the country the province the city is a business money in money out provide a service that should be all

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Frank.Castle said:

It’s not just Ontario, look at what they’ve done to Alberta... they bought a pipeline just so they could bury it in red tape and never build it.  These idiots care more about teaching kids there is 26 different genders than keeping an economy going.  All this touchy feely crap doesn’t belong in government.... the country the province the city is a business money in money out provide a service that should be all

I hear you brother. More attention to gender than making sure kids know how to read, write and do arithmetic. 

Pathetic. 

Governments like this are our new future. Full of shit, out of touch, and out to lunch. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, eazy57 said:

I hear you brother. More attention to gender than making sure kids know how to read, write and do arithmetic. 

Pathetic. 

Governments like this are our new future. Full of shit, out of touch, and out to lunch. 

I agree but disagree I think it’s going to be like a pendulum effect we’ve swung so far to the liberal retard side that we are going to swing back the other way.  You can almost see it in governments around the world.  

Atleast that’s my hope that Canadians will wake up and realize that there’s only one tax payer and that’s us... look at the debt the feds are running and we supposedly have a great economy right now... what are we going to do when things turn bad?

• Like 1

It is pretty bad. When I was a young kid there were 25 dollar an hour factory jobs everywhere in Ontario. From the time I went to college and beyond those jobs went to temp agencies paying barely over min wage. A combination of free trade with China and a tax hungry govt fucked us hard. I know people who have spent up to 5 years after graduating university working in fast food. If GM closes I can think of 2 factories directly linked that pay an ok wage that will also close in my area.

I have no idea how they plan on replacing those manufacturing jobs. There's no way the majority of the GM plant workforce could transition to IT or other tech fields efficiently. 

Really sucks for older workers who have been there 20+ years. They're fucked. Their age alone will make them hard to hire at up and coming tech companies. 

And just what is Trudeau supposed to do for this community? Open a carbon tax enforcement office?

What a total failure he is. 

Edited by eazy57

They will do what they did in my town. Close the factories that paid a living wage then move in minimum wage call  centres. Then city hall will tell everyone how hard they worked to get these call centres here, and to stop being ungrateful because a jobs a job lol.

23 minutes ago, eazy57 said:

And just what is Trudeau supposed to do for this community? Open a carbon tax enforcement office?

Funny story about useless govt jobs, last year my wife was called twice a day for months by someone from a govt tax program. Apparently they wanted small businesses to let them come over and volunterally go over their books to make sure they were paying taxes right. Who would be stupid enough to let someone comb through your business if you had no legal obligation? These guys are probably getting paid 70k a year to get ignored on a phone all day.

• Shocked 1

14 hours ago, eazy57 said:

I have no idea how they plan on replacing those manufacturing jobs. There's no way the majority of the GM plant workforce could transition to IT or other tech fields efficiently. 

Really sucks for older workers who have been there 20+ years. They're fucked. Their age alone will make them hard to hire at up and coming tech companies. 

Reminds me of when the Hershey chocolate factory up and left Smiths Falls.

Then Tweed purchased the building for cannabis production and has now become Canopy Growth Corp.

The demand is so high for Cannabis through the government site and these big companies are going to need to ramp up production to meet demand. Maybe they will purchase and reno the building. Probably wont need the same number of employees but can always hope some sort of production business can help out the area 

Trudeau is a sell out and his banking on every move wall the people are getting poor , it's ridiculous how these people get elected and do shit .

Canada need a president that will put Canadians first and before helping other countries help the people in this country first . ( Canadians first )

This is what happens when you let trust fund brats run the country.Everything is going downhill.....the buzz will wear off from legalization and the reality will sink in....

Edited by Cog

You guys complain too much. Fuck auto-workers, and fuck veterans, and fuck the poor. At least we live in a country where you no longer have to be subjected to Christmas rape songs over the radio. AND... you can have a rainbow-painted crosswalk, without fear of someone doing a burnout over top of it, you know... on THE STREET... because that is now a hate crime. You also dont have to be offended when listening to our National anthem, with all that hateful blatantly misogynist 'all our sons' business. 

I love Canada. I love Trudeau. I swell with joy when i see him dancing away in some pink dress in India, raising my taxes so he can fly there in style. I blossom with happiness thinking about what great changes he'll do next.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1