Kidney/Blood Pressure

tatguy

Looking for some advice here, I'm not sure what to do.

Last Febuary I developed pitting adema in my ankles and calfs after doing a blast with way too much test and tren. My blood pressure was something insane like 179/110 and I was refered to a nephrologist. I immediately dropped the tren and worked my way to a cruise dose of test at 125mg per week. The nephrologist put me on blood pressure medication and the pitting adema went away. I was getting blood work and urine samples every 3 months all year and my kidney function improved greatly over the year. When I saw my nephrologist on January 24th he said there was nothing to worry as my kidney function had drastically improved but my blood pressure was still high at 140/90.

He suggested I do a kidney biopsy to eliminate my kidneys being the cause of my high blood pressure. He went on to say if I had a kidney disease my kidney function wouldn't have improved like it did and he made it seem like the biopsy will most likely show nothing but he still wants to do it so I'm looking for advice on weather or not I should do it. It seems unnecessary but I don't know why my blood pressure would be high. 

I don't drink, smoke or do recreational drugs and I'm only running low test. And I'm 32.

Edited by tatguy
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about this dude but I feel this is totally up to you man. This is an important health concern that could haunt you for life if you choose not to make the decision. Maybe you don’t need the biopsy and maybe you do. I’d have a chat with your family and get the support to either move forward with your decision or to pass, but if a nephrologist is suggesting this I think I’d get it done. 

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and the doctor suggested a bio even though his psa levels were good and was having no “usual” symptoms he was like fuck it, if the doc says it’s nothing then why do the bio. My mother told him it’d be best to go just to be sure and Lucky he went, as this desicion saved his life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there any risk to doing the biopsy? If only minor risks like usual stuff such as infections then I would do it to rule out the kidneys being the cause of high blood pressure. That being said, it is completely your decision and your health. Did he do all the kidney blood work? Creatinine, egfr, urea, etc? How did those come back?

• Like 2

With a family member in the hospital waiting on kidney transplant... my suggestion is do the test brother, better to know then not know.  Ignorance isn’t bliss. This could change your life forever and trust me when I say that watching someone in the hospital on dialysis 4-5 times a week isn’t easy on family or the person suffering through it.

mine is another vote for getting the bio done 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, rhynoplanet said:

Is there any risk to doing the biopsy? If only minor risks like usual stuff such as infections then I would do it to rule out the kidneys being the cause of high blood pressure. That being said, it is completely your decision and your health. Did he do all the kidney blood work? Creatinine, egfr, urea, etc? How did those come back?

I second all of this. Reason being i went through this myself a couple years back. I had random bloodwork done and my creatinine was through the roof high. I went to see a nephrologist and he did the bloodwork again, also ordered a CT and ultrasound of my kidneys.

Function of kidneys were excellent. However the creatinine was still high. not as bad for second round of blood panels but still high. I kept up on my bloodwork for approximately 3 months and eventually my creatinine went back to normal.

Since then i've continued to get bloods done every 3 months on my own with a nephrology panel like rhyno said. All good now!

However if the Doc is suggesting a biopsy, i'd definitely strongly consider it brother.

Keep us posted

• Like 2

I'm doing it, it's booked for Feb 6th. Might as well do it and hopefully I'm fine.

I've had the same nephrologist for all the blood work and now for the biopsy he ran a full panel and I still have the form for bloodwork. Not sure how bad my numbers were or how good they are now, he'll never show them to me which makes me wonder what's actually going on. I'll still be doing blood work every 3 months regardless of the outcome of the biopsy.

Have any of you had a boipsy or know someone who has? Just curious on how long to take it easy in the gym.

Edited by tatguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tatguy said:

I'm doing it, it's booked for Feb 6th. Might as well do it and hopefully I'm fine.

I've had the same nephrologist for all the blood work and now for the biopsy he ran a full panel and I still have the form for bloodwork. Not sure how bad my numbers were or how good they are now, he'll never show them to me which makes me wonder what's actually going on. I'll still be doing blood work every 3 months regardless of the outcome of the biopsy.

Have any of you had a boipsy or know someone who has? Just curious on how long to take it easy in the gym.

Good to hear. You can always ask for a copy of your bloodwork results, it is your health and your business for them to give you. I get copies of all of mine, if you get it done at Dynacare labs you can pay online yearly, I think $25, and then you can view it yourself and print it. 

4 hours ago, tatguy said:

Good to hear brother health comes above all else! Keep us posted

Edited by Frank.Castle

On 1/31/2019 at 11:59 AM, rhynoplanet said:

Good to hear. You can always ask for a copy of your bloodwork results, it is your health and your business for them to give you. I get copies of all of mine, if you get it done at Dynacare labs you can pay online yearly, I think $25, and then you can view it yourself and print it. 

I get it done at dynalife, is that the same thing? I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...