Steroids what Pro bodybuilders are really using

Here's what you need to know...A pro bodybuilder could spend $8,000 to $20,000 for a 16-week competition cycle.Most pros are regularly monitored by trusted doctors who know exactly what they're using.Most health issues and deaths associated with bodybuilders are related not to steroid use but rather recreational drug use. That being said, diuretics and insulin can get a bodybuilder into trouble.This article contains the real drug cycle of a professional bodybuilder. Do not attempt it.

Editor's Note: T Nation was approached by an IFBB pro bodybuilder who wanted to write anonymous articles for us as well as answer questions honestly in our steroid forum. After verifying his identity we decided to give him a platform. "Shadow Pro" was born.

The Truth

Remember those heated debates you heard as a kid about whether or not pro wrestling was real? Well, when I first started bodybuilding there were people actually arguing about whether or not the pros used steroids and other drugs.

Really.

You can't blame them (entirely). The magazines at the time never said a word about steroids and the pros of course couldn't be forthright when someone was brave enough to ask. It was a huge secret... and yet it really wasn't.

Today things have changed, but I still hear a lot of lies and misconceptions about steroid use in professional, amateur, and "natural" bodybuilding.

Most of this comes from online rumors and internet "gurus" throwing around nonsense. I want to set a few things straight about the real cycles used by pros and top amateurs.

An Inside Peek

First, let's talk about health. Yes, we care about that. Most of us at least. Perfect diet and supplementation play a huge role in keeping us healthy while on a cycle. If we eat like shit and neglect our health, then we can expect to look like shit on stage.

I usually take time off each year. And I take precautionary measures to make sure my health stays on track. Throughout the year, on and off cycle, I get regular blood work done to make sure my levels are in range.

With private doctors you can pay for any testing without questions being asked. Once you build a relationship with a doctor, you can be very straightforward with him about what you do. Then you can be monitored accordingly throughout the cycles.

Most of the top pros have doctors that are trustworthy. Take into consideration they've been doing this for many years. Over time they eventually find a good doctor who understands what they do and works with them, not against them.

I've been fortunate enough not to have any serious health issues. When blood tests are taken during a heavy cycle, the liver and kidney values can sometimes come back out of range. But after my PCT and after I drop the orals, everything comes back to normal within a few weeks.

Recipe for Disaster

The only people who I've seen suffer from serious health issues are combining steroids with recreational drug use or narcotic painkillers. It's a recipe for disaster.

Usually if they're taking juice and being smart about it, they won't have major issues. Genetic factors may also make them predisposed to certain health issues but this will happen regardless of their steroid use.

I think any steroid – or any other drug for that matter – can put you at risk if it's abused. That being said, if I had to pick one area that can get competitive bodybuilders into trouble it's diuretics. When you get close to a professional level show, the body is already in a vulnerable state at that point.

But people take diuretics for years for blood pressure purposes without any issue. If the drugs are being used intelligently then any risk can be avoided. The only problem is when they're abused and overused before a show.

Insulin is very dangerous if the bodybuilder is uneducated. If you really know what you're doing, you can use it safely. But if you're using it for extended amounts of time and not following appropriate protocols you can run into fatal issues.

If you don't know what you're doing and you take too much you can actually die, but it's not the actual drug that's dangerous – it's the uneducated use.

Bodybuilders "Dying of Steroid Use"

It does not happen. This is a big misconception and the most moronic thing I've ever heard.

The media likes to blow up stories like this and blame steroids immediately, without any kind of investigation into the subject. The people who are writing these stories have no educational background in sport. There has yet to be any kind of proof that the reason for death was purely from steroid use.

Then again, when you look at the government officials who made prohormones illegal, it just goes to show you the kind of idiots who are making the decisions about our lives.

Of course, there are stupid people out there. I knew a bodybuilder taking 36 IU of GH every day, up to 5-6 grams of oils every week, and 100 IU of insulin everyday. Those are crazy amounts – very extreme.

I honestly think the dumbest thing bodybuilders can do is go out on the weekend and abuse recreation drugs while on a cycle. It puts them at a huge risk for health issues.

The Price of Being Juiced

Bodybuilding isn't exactly a sport people get into if they want to make money. It's not the NFL unfortunately.

In most cases, a pro bodybuilder could spend more on a competition cycle than he or she can win at the show! I compete in bodybuilding because I love the sport; it's not for fame or fortune.

As a professional bodybuilder, I've spent $20,000 for 16 weeks. This was my most expensive cycle and it was mostly due to the GH for this particular run.

Somewhere in the range of $8,000 to $15,000 would be more typical for someone at my level. It all depends on the price of GH. I get mine from the pharmacy so it's always pricey.

A Pro Bodybuilder's Cycle

So what do top bodybuilder's use and how much? I'll tell you.

Just keep in mind that this is not a "how to" or a prescription, just an honest look at what's really being used by pros. An actual cycle is very individual and should be changed according to individual needs.

16-Week Cycle: General UsageCut long esters at 6-8 weeks out and switch to short-acting compounds.Increase anti-estrogens as the show get closer in order to get harder and dryer. This is where a lot of people fail because of lack of knowledge on the subject.Testosterone should be cut anywhere between 2-4 weeks out. Some people can get away with going all the way to the show but it really depends on the person. If they're going for a very hard and dry look, then likely they'll cut it earlier.Make sure supplementation is on target during the cycle to protect your health. I use liver support supplements, Flameout, Curcumin, etc.Simplicity is the key; a cycle doesn't need to be fancy. If a bodybuilder is not advanced or experienced – and most who think they are actually aren't! – he should go with a lower dosage.16-Week Sample Cycle: Moderate to High Dosage

This is an example of a common pro-bodybuilder cycle. It's something I've done before and I do not recommend this for anyone!

1-10 Testosterone Enanthate, 750mg a week (1000-1200mg advanced)
1-10 EQ, 800mg a week (1000mg advanced)
1-10 Tren E, 600mg/week (800mg advanced)
1-8  D-Bol, 50mg every day (up to 100mg advanced)
10-16 100mg Testosterone prop EOD (100mg ED advanced)
10-16 100mg Trenbolone Acetate EOD (75-100mg ED advanced)
10-16 100mg Masteron propionate EOD (100mg ED advanced)
10-16 50mg Winstrol or Anavar ED (sometime I do both)
8-16 Start T3 at 25mcg ED and taper up as needed.
12-16 Halotestin, start at 20mg ED and increase by 10mg every week (not a good choice for those who aren't mentally strong.)

Pharmaceutical GH 6-12 IU ED for the whole cycle (If people can afford more then the sky is the limit. I know guys who've gone up to 30 IU but this is rare.)

Insulin For advanced lifters only! 5-10 IU pre-workout followed by drinking Plazma™ right away. This is a moderate dosage, a lot of guys are using much more.

When to cut insulin is very individual and depends on conditioning, water retention and the amount of carbs the bodybuilder is eating. It could be run straight through or cut out in the weeks prior to the show and possibly reintroduced later on.

Clenbuterol is on option starting at 6-8 weeks out. Most start low, 20-40mcg.

Anti-Estrogens

Nolvadex (Tamoxifen): 20mg ED for the whole cycle, taper up if needed starting at 6 weeks out.

Arimidex for the whole cycle starting at 1mg EOD and taper up as needed from 6 weeks out.

Provironstarting at 8 weeks out at 25mg ED and taper up as the show gets closer, up to 100mg ED.

Note: This doesn't cover the last week. The peak week is very complicated and not easily generalized so I didn't include it.

Anyone doing a cycle like this is very advanced and knows that the final week will change from show to show. There's no set plan for it. If someone gives you a set plan for your last week without looking you over and making changes based on how you look, he's an idiot.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have a really hard time believing these types of "articles". I am 100% sure there are pros out there who do not have the genetics to be pros and abuse the shit out of stuff. However, over the last decade I have had pretty open conversations with at least 5 Canadian IFBB Pro bodybuilders - 3 having been on the Olympia stage and a lot of high level national guys. Not one of them uses remotely similar protocols to each other and most of them take a good portion of time off. Not on HRT, off. 3-4 months after the show they stop doing any drugs. Online people can't believe this but when you workout with a pro in the gym you can see. They are still impressive off, but you can tell they are off. Within 2-3 weeks of going back on they are right where they left off. It only makes sense for longevity to do this. Take 3-4 months off, get your blood levels right, get your mind right and then 2 weeks back on you are back at your peak.

4 hours ago, biglove said:

I have a hard time believing the doctor part, how do you except being healthy and having normal blood on so much drugs .

Not everyone reacts the same, and most of us take precautionary measures to ensure we don’t experience drastic side effects.

i can also tell you from personal experience those doctors do exist... because I have one like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corey5150 said:

Not everyone reacts the same, and most of us take precautionary measures to ensure we don’t experience drastic side effects.

i can also tell you from personal experience those doctors do exist... because I have one like that.

Being a competitor and all do you know many people that can handle dosages like that? I can only think of one guy that comes close and the dude is constantly going to the doc to get one health problem after another looked at. Half the time he’s so red it looks like his head is about to explode. It doesn’t seem like a happy existence. 

1 hour ago, Durk said:

Being a competitor and all do you know many people that can handle dosages like that? I can only think of one guy that comes close and the dude is constantly going to the doc to get one health problem after another looked at. Half the time he’s so red it looks like his head is about to explode. It doesn’t seem like a happy existence. 

Not that I’m a pro or would even consider myself close to that level. BUT I have run doses like that - and frankly even a little higher. And some guys I’ve had great conversations with like al durrah and Dorian Hamilton will even tell you doses like that are not uncommon for people looking to push the envelope (some of those are moderate - id even argue, you’ll see much higher in the competition scene).

Something though I think that people don’t necessarily realize though is that just because this person is using 500-750mg Test now and sits at 280 doesn’t mean that’s what he used to get there. My cruise dose is 300mg of Test and I sit at a decently lean 250lbs but let’s not forget that I’ve pushed for higher doses to achieve that. 

Now im not advocating such doses and I’m certainly not saying that it’s needed. But do you really think most people will admit to crazy doses? I doubt it. But they may (and more than likely) respond greatly to androgens - it happens, that’s why they’re the best. You can’t fit everyone in the same box and say well you need 500mg of Test and no more. Some may grow like weeds and other to get the same progression may need 1,200+ just the way it is. 

And in regards to the health component... I’d actually say the vast majority of people who use, regardless of dose are ignorant to their health. Out of sight out of mind. And that’s the worst thing you can do. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Corey5150 said:

Not that I’m a pro or would even consider myself close to that level. BUT I have run doses like that - and frankly even a little higher. And some guys I’ve had great conversations with like al durrah and Dorian Hamilton will even tell you doses like that are not uncommon for people looking to push the envelope (some of those are moderate - id even argue, you’ll see much higher in the competition scene).

Something though I think that people don’t necessarily realize though is that just because this person is using 500-750mg Test now and sits at 280 doesn’t mean that’s what he used to get there. My cruise dose is 300mg of Test and I sit at a decently lean 250lbs but let’s not forget that I’ve pushed for higher doses to achieve that. 

Now im not advocating such doses and I’m certainly not saying that it’s needed. But do you really think most people will admit to crazy doses? I doubt it. But they may (and more than likely) respond greatly to androgens - it happens, that’s why they’re the best. You can’t fit everyone in the same box and say well you need 500mg of Test and no more. Some may grow like weeds and other to get the same progression may need 1,200+ just the way it is. 

And in regards to the health component... I’d actually say the vast majority of people who use, regardless of dose are ignorant to their health. Out of sight out of mind. And that’s the worst thing you can do. 

I still consider a guy at your level light years ahead of the average juicer even though you aren’t a pro. 

Personally I myself could probably handle most of that cycle except Tren even at 400mgs a week makes me feel like garbage and weirdly anavar over 25mgs a day shoots my bp through the roof. It must be true what they say about some people having better genetics for drugs. I guess my only blessing is for some reason I barely aromatize. I could do a gram of test and would still have to break my AI up into 1/4s or I would tank my e2

15 hours ago, Corey5150 said:

But from what I understand Dorian doesn't use doses like these either and when he did say fuck it and push the envelop to see if that was the difference between his pro card or not, it didn't do something special.

2 hours ago, Durk said:

I still consider a guy at your level light years ahead of the average juicer even though you aren’t a pro. 

Personally I myself could probably handle most of that cycle except Tren even at 400mgs a week makes me feel like garbage and weirdly anavar over 25mgs a day shoots my bp through the roof. It must be true what they say about some people having better genetics for drugs. I guess my only blessing is for some reason I barely aromatize. I could do a gram of test and would still have to break my AI up into 1/4s or I would tank my e2

But see that’s the thing everyone needs to work to your own individual threshold. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blitz said:

But from what I understand Dorian doesn't use doses like these either and when he did say fuck it and push the envelop to see if that was the difference between his pro card or not, it didn't do something special.

Your post kind of missed my point. Dorian is one example - and if anything shows my point of people who will need less than most. Now for example I can list the cycle of one he trains - who’s made exceptional progress and it would make most peoples head spin. 

Nothing in bodybuilding can be be set in stone and drug doses are another example. 

Just to show people an example of someone who has used huge doses in the past and now preaches more moderate is Jordan Peters. Way way back you could find those doses he used to get close to 300lbs and they weren’t for the faint of heart.

Now should anyone just simply jump into huge doses, no. But at some point the drugs will need to increase as progress is as made and plateaus are hit. 

Just to use another example: would you expect to be gaining more and more muscle using the same weights you used one, two or three years ago? Or would you be gradually adding load and increasing stimulus. 

People do not need to get caught up with what others use because that is really irrelevant when it comes down to it at the end of the day. People need to pay attention to their own individual response and progress as needed. I don’t consider any dose too small or too big, do what works for you. 

10 hours ago, Corey5150 said:

Your post kind of missed my point. Dorian is one example - and if anything shows my point of people who will need less than most. Now for example I can list the cycle of one he trains - who’s made exceptional progress and it would make most peoples head spin. 

Nothing in bodybuilding can be be set in stone and drug doses are another example. 

Just to show people an example of someone who has used huge doses in the past and now preaches more moderate is Jordan Peters. Way way back you could find those doses he used to get close to 300lbs and they weren’t for the faint of heart.

Now should anyone just simply jump into huge doses, no. But at some point the drugs will need to increase as progress is as made and plateaus are hit. 

Just to use another example: would you expect to be gaining more and more muscle using the same weights you used one, two or three years ago? Or would you be gradually adding load and increasing stimulus. 

People do not need to get caught up with what others use because that is really irrelevant when it comes down to it at the end of the day. People need to pay attention to their own individual response and progress as needed. I don’t consider any dose too small or too big, do what works for you. 

What you're saying is true but also the opposite is true which is what I'm saying.. just because you use more gear doesn't mean more progress. It's the same as the weight analogy, there are plenty of guys in the gym benching 225 and in 5 years they'll still be benching 225 because what they really need to do is focus on what really matters. This could mean dropping to 185 and feeling it more, doing a better tempo, range of motion etc.

Just because someone is big doesn't mean they take a lot. I think people think all the pros are running multiple grams of gear and never go off and it's simply not true. Big people don't equal big doses and big doses doesn't equal big people. I know this guys bigger than me who take less and I know guys much smaller than me doubling or tripling my doses.

Upping doses usually isn't the answer. If you're already impressive yes you'll have to progress in all things. But to be honest I used a lot more at 190-200lb than I did at 240lb at the same body fat. The difference was back then I truly believed all the pros were taking a gram of tren and 20iu of gh so the key for me must be to take as much as I could. I didn't realize or believe it when people said that drugs were 10% of it. I'm not saying your anywhere close to the same example as I was. I'm also not saying I take Lee Priest size doses of var and maintain 230. But I take half as much as I did when I believed all the shit on the internet. One of the pros from Canada who been killing it lately was blown away when I said I did 600mg of tren before. He thought I was fucking with him. This guy puts me to shame on 100mg EOD. Not that I could go that, the genetics are just way different even if I put in what he did in terms of diet and training.

It seem more easy to think or believe what someone would say but at the end of the day you still can't believe what the say , i for once always lie about what i take and will never be open about it .

People always want to say the take less so the feel like the have good genetec wall the hole time there a couple extra shots here and there lol.

I will always say this talk don't mean shit and i only say on guy on the boards that look like a pro ifbb and that was (sniper) from ironlifter, if you say his pictures u would understand and his dose up there .

Am not saying some can't use low dose because some can, i had a friend that was low on money so his dose where very low and i mean very low and people couldn't understand how the fuck he was a monster ,  well he was very strong on insulin .