Blood glucose, dieting, Low GI muffins

The way you construct things is very particular to the individual. For instance when my blood glucose rises to 145 and takes a while to come down post-meal I will end up storing some of my nutrient intake in adipose tissue. However for other people, this ill defined "spill threshold" may be 185. So you need to know your body.

Timing is important. After you exercise (weights, cardio, etc.) your body is more likely to store nutrients in the liver, muscle and non-adipose tissue. Thats why doing a couple sessions of activity a day (run, hike, swim, lift, cardio, yoga...) immediately followed by a meal is more beneficial....because you have a couple of windows where nutrient uptake is skewed favorably.

In fact post-exercise your body secretes a different blend of growth hormone.

It releases more of the 20kDa variety then it normally does probably in an attempt to avoid hyperglycemia.

If you are using various compounds and attempting to build muscle you can eat higher GI carbs as well as protein. But if you are attempting to stay lean, if you are recomping or dieting, if you are completely natural and don't want to gain fat then even though the post-exercise window is permissive you still need to watch the amount & Glycemic load of the carbs you ingest.

I gave up whey protein shakes years ago and when I am staying lean my post workout carb source is usually oatmeal and a piece of fruit. The protein source is easy to digest whole foods such as fish followed by a red meat meal.

Razor Ripped preached several great carb sources that have minimal impact on blood sugar. He preached Ezekiel Bread (not the one with raisins), barley, lentils, berries. In the U.S. Ezekiel makes a pasta & a cereal that are identical to the low GI bread. If you are not in the U.S. then look for breads made up of sprouted grains. You can make low G.I. foods yourself with grainy items such as barley, flax-seed, wheat bran, oat bran, wholemeal flour, etc.

Here is a low GI muffin recipe I found on the web last year which I make frequently. Two of them raise my blood glucose level only 8-9 points.

1 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup oat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup skim milk
2 each large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup Splenda
14 ounces canned pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350f. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Do not use papers.

Beat eggs and add the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and sweetener. Mix the oat and wheat bran and add the wet ingredients. Set aside for 5 minutes to soften. 

Once softened, add the remaining ingredients and stir just to blend.
Spoon into the muffin tin and bake approx 25-30 minutes or until the muffins pull away from the sides of the pan. They are very moist and may not 'test' done.

Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
Let cool completely and refrigerate any leftovers.

Serving Size : 12 muffins

Per Serving: 101 Calories; 2g Fat (12.7% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 36mg Cholesterol; 156mg Sodium.

In my opinion people waste money on whey protein & WMS, etc.

Instead they should just use whole food.

I don't have a set amount of carbs. If I am seriously dieting then I switch off of carbs as I approach bed. I want the blood glucose to come down. At bed time I take a little bit of Vanadyl Sulfate so that my blood sugar is gone while I sleep. While I sleep I burn a little fat... when I wake up I drink a little black coffee and do some empty stomach cardio. That cardio session will burn fat immediately and so the entire session is a fat burning session. Then I eat breakfast.

I do something like an intense one hour hike on a mountain trail as a separate session to really get the metabolism going for the day. Afterwards I eat.

There's not a lot of tricks to it. You just reorganize the way you eat. Space out the meals so there is 3 hours between them. Construct meals with a low Glycemic Load. Increase the activity to burn off the mobilized fat.

Don't drastically drop calories!!!

• Like 2