Subcutaneous vs IntraMuscular Injection of T - Thoughts From People Who Have Done Both/SubQ?

So while I'm researching trying to learn as much as I can about doing my own TRT I have come across a lot of info and a lot of conflicting info regarding subq vs intramuscular as the methodology for injecting your Testosterone.

Dr John Crisler who is a highly respected doc in the industry not only supports subq but also uses that method himself while another highly respected doc Dr Rand Mcclain, while he doesn't condemn it does not support it and is quite clear about his feelings that it is not the way to go.

There's a great video of Dr John Crisler actually injecting himself subq and he makes it look super easy and there is lots of research stating efficacy is as good or better that intramuscular. The dude is 60 years old and looks absolutely amazing.

Dr John Crisler Subcutaneous Testosterone Injection Demonstration

To a beginner like me, subq looks to be easier and less chance of messing up. So anyone that can comment from 1st hand experience I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

My 2cents.... subq with oil sucks! Gave it a good go, even with .25 ml a shot, (with pharma enanthate) got red painful lumps that would stick around for two weeks! 

I have noticed that a certain lab has a very thin product that would probably absorb better, but for me only water based products get subq'ed on me.

Btw, RIP Dr.John Crisler, your knowledge and advocacy will be missed.

• Like 1

I have no issues at all. I've done 1cc of T400 with no issues. Right now my current cycle is 800mg T400, 200mg Tren E and 200mg of Tren Ace. I am splitting the Tren Ace into 3 shots and 1 of them is subq. No pain at all. Makes more frequent shots easier while on cycle and I imagine makes TRT or cruising more sustainable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rosconow said:

My 2cents.... subq with oil sucks! Gave it a good go, even with .25 ml a shot, (with pharma enanthate) got red painful lumps that would stick around for two weeks! 

I have noticed that a certain lab has a very thin product that would probably absorb better, but for me only water based products get subq'ed on me.

Btw, RIP Dr.John Crisler, your knowledge and advocacy will be missed.

Thanks man.

Oh crap, I had no idea and it would have never occurred to me in a million years. The man looked amazing in the video I watched. That sucks. From my research he was a real pioneer.

6 minutes ago, Blitz said:

I have no issues at all. I've done 1cc of T400 with no issues. Right now my current cycle is 800mg T400, 200mg Tren E and 200mg of Tren Ace. I am splitting the Tren Ace into 3 shots and 1 of them is subq. No pain at all. Makes more frequent shots easier while on cycle and I imagine makes TRT or cruising more sustainable.

Thank you, I appreciate your input.

It looks like I'm just going to have to try both and see which works for me.  I need to watch some more videos of IM injections in places I can reach myself as my wife will never help with this lol....I think alternating thighs is probably the easiest to do by yourself.

@Rosconow @NorthernLifters

Yikes!

All the vids I've watched of people saying ya this is where you do it and not a single one mentioned anything like that. Then here you have Dave Palumbo who even I know who he is (me not being into building or lifting) so no doubt he knows wtf he's talking about. You have no idea my luck man, that would happen to me 1st shot I guaran f'ing tee it, lol...

So for a noob like me whats your advice on the best place to stick the pin?

Glutes and delts for me. 

The reason i always drag out the Palumbo vid is everytime i'd do a quad injection, i'd hit a nerve and twitch like a mofo. I'd usually end up instinctively pulling the pin out.... quads were never good for me. But, each to their own. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blitz said:

I've done more quad shots than anything. Always aspirate. Quads have lots of space to do shots.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm finding it very interesting how everyone has their own experience with this stuff and even the docs are on both sides of the questions. As a noob it makes it kinda hard but the learning is really interesting.

All of this info and advice is really making the difference for me. Already it has saved me from making a pretty big mistake with my plan of attack, and in addition to everything else, as economics right now are a big factor for me, every penny counts so I can't afford to absorb any stupid mistakes.

All of you have my sincere thanks for your help.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Old thread but wondering how you made out?

For IM Oil I always did glutes, quads, delts. Hitting a nerve in the quads does happen and it sucks. 

I have done slin pins with IGF-Des in bi's and calves without issue. 

Now, Im pretty lazy and do my TRT dose (0.3cc) with a slin pin via glute. 1 or 2 days of a sore little bump but after that all good. Pretty sure it would suck with >1cc though. 

On 11/5/2019 at 12:03 AM, Ryujiin said:

Old thread but wondering how you made out?

For IM Oil I always did glutes, quads, delts. Hitting a nerve in the quads does happen and it sucks. 

I have done slin pins with IGF-Des in bi's and calves without issue. 

Now, Im pretty lazy and do my TRT dose (0.3cc) with a slin pin via glute. 1 or 2 days of a sore little bump but after that all good. Pretty sure it would suck with >1cc though. 

Wow, re-reading this thread and looking at how far I am from there in just that 5 months. How quickly an empty vessel fills with the elixir of knowledge, lol...

I had 0 luck with SubQ for oils. Anything water based, like peptides, no issue but oils were problematic. regardless of the size of the shot, I was developing irritation, abscess, etc etc Going the IM route and with rare exception, no issues at all.

I rotate my IM pins though delt, Tricep, Bicep, Pecs, Lats, and VG. Tricep, bicep, pecs are done with30g slin pins as the muscle is right there and reached no problem with a12.5mm pin, Delts and Lats are 5/8" 25g (could easilly go 27g but I get a better deal on 25g pins) and the VG I do with a 1" pin and I recenlty got hold of some 30g x 1" pins that work amazingly well with the only caveat being as they are so fine you want to be extra careful with them and not horse them around at all as if they were 25g. Maybe they are tougher than i worrry about but better safe than sorry. Their impact profile is so slight that you'd think everyone would be using them bit I gather a lot of folks worry about the same fragility that I do.

It literally seems like forever ago that I posted this thread lol...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

I had 0 luck with SubQ for oils. Anything water based, like peptides, no issue but oils were problematic. regardless of the size of the shot, I was developing irritation, abscess, etc etc 

Damn, I can get a little irritation in my glutes (I wont do sub Q test anywhere but my fat ass) and sometimes a lump for a day or two, but an abscess is pretty scary.

Your an animal with the chest injects. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ryujiin said:

Damn, I can get a little irritation in my glutes (I wont do sub Q test anywhere but my fat ass) and sometimes a lump for a day or two, but an abscess is pretty scary.

Your an animal with the chest injects. 

I love doing my pecs. As long as you find the right spot and dont overdo it with volume its all good but I know a few people that say its just bloody awful pain wise putting the pin in that area. So the first time I did it I pinned like a half cc of Test E in each side and maybe its the oil pooling and spreading out but I swear my pecs haven't looked that good in years lol...my wife noticed right off like they instantly tightened up. They say that you can't get local benefits from pinning but I dunno man. At some point I'm gonna have a go at filling them with Test Base too see what happens lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

IThey say that you can't get local benefits from pinning but I dunno man. At some point I'm gonna have a go at filling them with Test Base too see what happens lol

I hear you on that, I used to use a suspension product call Suspina way back.  It was 100mg test/12.5or25mg tren suspension. When I was pinning it in my calves I swear they had the best growth ever...or maybe they were just swollen. 

22 hours ago, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

I was developing irritation, abscess, etc 

I'll wager you weren't getting an abscess, just the oil sitting there in a ball, creating irritation/ localized swelling. If you abscessed you'd need antibiotics....  

Edited by Rosconow