Extremely interesting study on testosterone dosages and muscle mass

What I found interesting about this study was basically that from the group, the jump from 300-600mg of testosterone weekly for 20 weeks only resulted in approximately a little less than two more kilograms of fat free body mass. Keep in mind that fat free body mass includes water weight which will be proportionately higher with a larger dose. Puts into perspective the risks of the sides vs the benefits of the amount of gains. I attached the graph I referenced. 

C044B6E6-9E43-4635-8D46-31F42CFF5C90.png

Edited by cumberger
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cumberger said:

What I found interesting about this study was basically that from the group, the jump from 300-600mg of testosterone weekly for 20 weeks only resulted in approximately a little less than two more kilograms of fat free body mass. Keep in mind that fat free body mass includes water weight which will be proportionately higher with a larger dose. Puts into perspective the risks of the sides vs the benefits of the amount of gains. I attached the graph I referenced. 

C044B6E6-9E43-4635-8D46-31F42CFF5C90.png

I think this is a great way to view dose increases in a clinical setting.

It goes to show that there is definitely diminishing returns after a certain dose. Very interesting though!

Edited by Corey5150
  • Like 1

Also interesting from the study was:

"The participants were asked not to undertake strength training or moderate-to-heavy endurance exercise during the study."

Wondering if good training would amplify or reduce the differences - any speculations?

Edited by BobTheOldLifter
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobTheOldLifter said:

"The participants were asked not to undertake strength training or moderate-to-heavy endurance exercise during the study."

Wondering if good training would amplify or reduce the differences - any speculations?

Personally, I think it adds validity to the study. Adding in strength training would add a number of uncontrollable variables that could effect overall results. For example, training intensity, form, trained vs untrained, etc...

I like how they approached this, as its merely looking at the drug itself and what dose would correspond with FFM. Now I also think this is an area I would love to see developed, but ethically I don't think we'll see too many studies delve into the bodybuilding world of abuse lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobTheOldLifter said:

I personally think it adds to the objectivity of the study. You can’t measure training accurately enough so if that was included results would be all over the place

• Like 2