ElectricRocker

What do you do for a living?

What do you all do for a living? How you bring that hard earned $$$ in? I’ll go first.

Red seal Industrial sparky here. Never a shortage of work in this trade. Exceptional money in it depending on where you work or what type of electrician you are but wouldn’t change a thing. Hence part of my board name lol. 

Entrepreneur and silent invester. I do small quick start ups and also invest with start ups. I got good financial backing for money lending purposes with high % returns 

Ex chef, landscaper and just in the middle of getting my class 3 license to drive for the rest of my life

Red seal cook. Got tired of making no money in hotels and restaurants. Got a cooking job at a jail. Government privatized the food services so I took the corrections officer training and the rest is history. There will always be crime and always be jobs in corrections.

Was a musician. And for a while lived the dream. Broke as shit. But happy. Then the dream started to suck. Being broke when you love what you do is fine, but being broke when you don’t, sucks. So I Went to driving truck full time. it’s what I’d do between tours anyway. Started having a regular life, money and an actual schedule I could do stuff with. It was/is pretty sweet. And I’ve never looked back. 

But the truck game has also run its course, not that I hate it really, just Time to get into something else. Trade skill. Use my brain more, learn something. Stay engaged with work on a higher level. I Know a few people in carpentry and glazing That I’ve been chatting with, but can’t seriously step out till after I get married this summer. So we’ll see I guess....

12 hours ago, K1Canada said:

Red seal cook. Got tired of making no money in hotels and restaurants. Got a cooking job at a jail. Government privatized the food services so I took the corrections officer training and the rest is history. There will always be crime and always be jobs in corrections.

Can you elaborate a bit on this? I’m really curious about what that’s like, I’m an ex chef of almost 20 years, and I’ve cooked in a lot of different areas and venues and prison is something I never even considered, I always thought it was ran by inmates. I’ll never set foot in a commercial  kitchen again but I’d still like to know a bit of what it’s like if you don’t mind?

It's pretty good. The cooking is dumbed down. The inmates do the majority of the prep work. You are there  to give them direction. Every now and then I'd get a local chef in on a DUI so that was awesome.  In general you are working with the best of the best inmates. It's the premium inmate job. All you can eat. We actually served pretty decent meals. Roast beef, roast pork, homemade pizza, pork cutlets, homemade fried fish. Of course there were the meals of bologna and salami but its not like I've never eaten it before. We taught a short order cooking class through the local tech school. All the inmate workers had to pass a safe food handling course through the health region. Hours were great 6am-6pm. Two days on two off, three days on two off,two on three off. repeat.

Unfortunately I spent quite a few years working in the federal system working in the kitchen as a convict. Ya this guy is right, it's a pretty sweet gig for the kitchen staff who go home after shift. We always refered to them as "stewards" . They mostly showed the convict workers how to do things. Much of the time  In the federal system the workers are serving many years and they already know what to do making the stewards job that much sweeter. From what I've heard about working in a kitchen in a hotel or nice restaurant the jobs in prisons have alot less pressure.

Registered Physical Therapist.  I've been practicing in orthopaedic outpatient clinics for 10 years (yikes!!), with specializations in manual/manipulative therapy, exercise, and concussion diagnosis and management.  I also do educational presentations for the local community and physicians, as well as volunteer time covering for sporting events and health fairs.  Absolutely love what I do.  Never a dull day here.  

40 minutes ago, ARUSH said:

I'm an underground hard rock miner.   A real life gold digger.   

That sounds pretty interesting actually. How’d you get into that line of work?

1 hour ago, ARUSH said:

What's the difference between a Chilean mining company and a Catholic Priest?

The mining company gets miners stuck in its shaft.

34 minutes ago, MuscleDummy said:

That sounds pretty interesting actually. How’d you get into that line of work?

I come from a family of miners.   Actually in high school I wanted to be a computer programmer.  Graduated from college.   Got a chick pregnant and into mining I went.  Had to make some real money.   But I dont regret it for a second.   I love being underground 

8 minutes ago, BobTheOldLifter said:

What's the difference between a Chilean mining company and a Catholic Priest?

The mining company gets miners stuck in its shaft.

A good attempt lol but factually inaccurate.  The Chilean miners were not stuck in a shaft.  Hahaha

On 8/8/2019 at 5:05 PM, ARUSH said:

Funny - I also work in mining. But in a comms role. Make sure there's awareness of how important mining is - and there's a proper crisis response plan in place if anything goes wrong underground. Very smart people in the mining industry. Hoping the company sends me on mine tours in the next year so I can see how you guys work and have a better understanding of the work environment

Edited by instagrande

I have a really short attention span so I have done a lot of different things. Highest on the food chain I supposes was running a now defunct (not my fault lol...happened after I left) Company in Nova Scotia that specialized in large/high end IT infrastructure design/implementation. it was a teenie tiny little thing when I got on board and when I left it was pretty big and then my former partner ran it into the ground funding his playtime activities off book...

During whatever else I was doing I have worked as a nightclub bouncer in some of the roughest joints in Toronto and some of the poshest. Usually I was the one telling the meat-shileds what to do as after my first few years in it it was obvious that's where the money was. I moved around a bit and my crew was known for knocking the shit out of bars that had gotten completely out of control. Drug dealers, chicks getting roofied, fights all the time etc, if you had lost control of the place we were the ones you called to give your club back to you.

Since my early 20's I've also been an avid collector so have always maintained a sidleine as a picker/dealer and in later years that has been pretty much a "for hire" finder's fee based sort of thing because of my health issues not making it great for me to be out spellunking in barns and shit looking for treasures..

Now I dabble in a bit of this and a bit of that mostly watching for up and coming tech out of China and trying to get in and out of it while whatever it is is still hot. E-bikes, hover boards were the last 2 that I made some good money on bringing them in b4 anyone else here really even knew they existed.

For the most part though, these days I have been primarilly focused on getting my health back to the best place in can be. I let our Canadian Medical System have a go at it and they failed me miserably so now I'm taking things into my own hands and using the degrees I have for some good for a change lol. It's amazing what you can do with the right know how and the dire need of your own health! Short of the pain meds (and I think I even have that solved) that I have no desire to get locked up for acquiring myself, there isn't anything I can't get at this point to to replace mainstream pharmaceuticals and that do just as good a job. That's my plan, to eventually cut doctors completely out of the loop at at level that won't bankrupt the wife and I. Endless money would make it no issue but who has that right!

On 8/15/2019 at 2:38 PM, instagrande said:

Funny - I also work in mining. But in a comms role. Make sure there's awareness of how important mining is - and there's a proper crisis response plan in place if anything goes wrong underground. Very smart people in the mining industry. Hoping the company sends me on mine tours in the next year so I can see how you guys work and have a better understanding of the work environment

I'm a development miner.   Spent more of my career on in jackleg drifts,  alimak raises and spent a year and a half sinking shaft.   Now I decided to be a company man and I'm bored as fuck bolting on a maclean bolter.   But meh,  for the first time in my career I can stop for lunch when ever I want and have tons of energy for the gym after work so I'm trying to stay positive about it.  

Let's just say that the way you guys think we do things underground isnt always the way you guys have it on paper,  otherwise jobs would never get done.   Underground is like Las Vegas.   What happens underground stays underground.  

Edited by ARUSH
  • Like 1

I definitely appreciate what you guys do down there. I've been in this role for almost a year now but there's a shit load for me to learn. My job is really to change the public mindset that mining is no longer a pickaxe and a hard hat and coal covered faces. Mining is helluvalot technologically advanced now and very safe than in the past. From what I've learned about the Canadian mining industry, makes me proud to be working in the industry and proud to be Canadian

Edited by instagrande

Old thread but why not.

Architectural lighting geek who splits his time between home and overseas 50/50, sometimes 30/70...

Copper mining in BC before the change over (in the mill)