Supplement Deals

Nissan

1 hour ago, instagrande said:

^TBH I won't order from supplement source again. Seems like almost everything I bought in my last order gives me terrible acid reflux or gives me diarrhea. And they don't take returns on anything opened

I hear you but I can't see that being their fault unless you think they are selling knock off product or tampering somehow? As far as returns on opened merch some places allow a store credit but you pay the shipping back and others offer sample packs if it's their own product, but not many will offer full refunds on opened stuff. If the stuff is defective thats another story but anyway, did you reach out to them at all? I have spoken with them a few times and they always seem to be pretty responsive in getting back quickly and working with you.

19 hours ago, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

I hear you but I can't see that being their fault unless you think they are selling knock off product or tampering somehow? As far as returns on opened merch some places allow a store credit but you pay the shipping back and others offer sample packs if it's their own product, but not many will offer full refunds on opened stuff. If the stuff is defective thats another story but anyway, did you reach out to them at all? I have spoken with them a few times and they always seem to be pretty responsive in getting back quickly and working with you.

I reached out to them. Someone named Cristal/Crystal replied to me and said that I can't return open-boxed goods. I ordered the same set of protein bars this second time around and it's just been a bad experience. First order was great - no problems. This second order as soon as I eat one of the protein bars, I feel wonky, stomach is upset, and I feel nauseous. 

Both times were from the clearance section btw. They've got good prices especially in the sale/clearance sections but I'm not going to torture my body anymore 

2 hours ago, instagrande said:

I reached out to them. Someone named Cristal/Crystal replied to me and said that I can't return open-boxed goods. I ordered the same set of protein bars this second time around and it's just been a bad experience. First order was great - no problems. This second order as soon as I eat one of the protein bars, I feel wonky, stomach is upset, and I feel nauseous. 

Both times were from the clearance section btw. They've got good prices especially in the sale/clearance sections but I'm not going to torture my body anymore 

Fair enough...I wouldnt want to put my body through that either...Did you happen to notice if the manufacturer changed the ingredients at all? I notice a lot of the protein bars are moving to using figs as sweetner/emulsifier and man if figs go off they can be really nasty...they shouldn't when used in these products as the way they are prepared shouldn't allow that to happen but you never know, and if they did you've described pretty much how you would feel and if they were a bit worse you'd be running to the head!

I'd check that, and the lot numbers to see if they are close, and the only reason i would, if you've decided not to purchase more, is that then I would reach out to the manufacturer with lot numbers as maybe you have identified an issue. They can be really generous with freebies, as thanks, in a case like that.

1 hour ago, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

Fair enough...I wouldnt want to put my body through that either...Did you happen to notice if the manufacturer changed the ingredients at all? I notice a lot of the protein bars are moving to using figs as sweetner/emulsifier and man if figs go off they can be really nasty...they shouldn't when used in these products as the way they are prepared shouldn't allow that to happen but you never know, and if they did you've described pretty much how you would feel and if they were a bit worse you'd be running to the head!

I'd check that, and the lot numbers to see if they are close, and the only reason i would, if you've decided not to purchase more, is that then I would reach out to the manufacturer with lot numbers as maybe you have identified an issue. They can be really generous with freebies, as thanks, in a case like that.

Hmm... I'll check that. I bought them because I liked them the first time around and were a good breakfast replacement when I was running late to work. These were the ONE and Combat Crunch branded bars

7 hours ago, instagrande said:

Hmm... I'll check that. I bought them because I liked them the first time around and were a good breakfast replacement when I was running late to work. These were the ONE and Combat Crunch branded bars

So after looking at the 2 you mentioned, I can see right off where I would suspect you are running into problems. Both of them contain something called IMO or Isomalto-Oligosaccharides. IMO is listed as a Prebiotic Fiber on the MusclePharm product, one little problem with that is that its not a fiber and in most cases its not even produced naturally. Tons of people have reactions to the stuff. hard to say why you didn't have a reaction the 1st time around but again, it's not surprising that you eventually did. I guess in Canada no one is forcing these manufacturers into compliance with describing this stuff as a Fiber or Prebiotic Fiber but in the US the FDA slammed them down flat, refusing to grant anyone "Fiber" ingredient status for the stuff.

I was already aware of it as I am a label reader, with food anyway, and more and more things every day as it seems a necessity these days, sadly.

I would stear clear of anything that lists this stuff in the ingredients. heres a bit of an article that covers the topic.

What Is IMO? The Truth Behind “Healthy” Protein Bars

On 9/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

So after looking at the 2 you mentioned, I can see right off where I would suspect you are running into problems. Both of them contain something called IMO or Isomalto-Oligosaccharides. IMO is listed as a Prebiotic Fiber on the MusclePharm product, one little problem with that is that its not a fiber and in most cases its not even produced naturally. Tons of people have reactions to the stuff. hard to say why you didn't have a reaction the 1st time around but again, it's not surprising that you eventually did. I guess in Canada no one is forcing these manufacturers into compliance with describing this stuff as a Fiber or Prebiotic Fiber but in the US the FDA slammed them down flat, refusing to grant anyone "Fiber" ingredient status for the stuff.

I was already aware of it as I am a label reader, with food anyway, and more and more things every day as it seems a necessity these days, sadly.

I would stear clear of anything that lists this stuff in the ingredients. heres a bit of an article that covers the topic.

What Is IMO? The Truth Behind “Healthy” Protein Bars

well shit that expains everything. Had no idea what IMO was until you linked it - so thanks for that. Guess most of the yummy-looking protein bars are out of the question for me. I liked the idea that 60-80% of the carbs in protein bars were fibre in the end - with artificial sugars used. But man, with the digestive stress, gonna quit protein bars entirely. It takes only 10 minutes to whip up an omelette in the morning and take it to work - so I'll just wake up earlier in the morning! Thank you again, Frank

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, instagrande said:

well shit that expains everything. Had no idea what IMO was until you linked it - so thanks for that. Guess most of the yummy-looking protein bars are out of the question for me. I liked the idea that 60-80% of the carbs in protein bars were fibre in the end - with artificial sugars used. But man, with the digestive stress, gonna quit protein bars entirely. It takes only 10 minutes to whip up an omelette in the morning and take it to work - so I'll just wake up earlier in the morning! Thank you again, Frank

You're quite welcome.

I roll out of bed still bleary eyed and go to the fridge, crack open a carton of egg whites and the wife has an omellette for lunch at work a few mins later. I prep ahead raw veg and low fat cheese/cottage cheese for her in little containers and throw some of that into her big carry-all she uses for lunch/water/etc along with the omellette and she's good to go. I mix it up for her with hard boiled instead of omelete cuz they are easy to make ahead. We buy a lot of club-pak sized stuff at CostCo and prep ahead pretty much everything except sit down together suppers. The prepping ahead goes a long way to keeping you on track because its the PITA on the spot making that makes peeps go "F" it a lot of the time and eat something that isn't anywhere near as healthy as what they didnt make but was less work at the time to get on a plate. For fast snacks, especially something that satisfies the sweet tooth, I look for low fat recipes of that genre and then figure out how to work protein powder into it in place of other ingredients as well as something high in fiber and then you end up with a really healthy snack that can again be made way ahead and is always light years better than any pre-packaged bar. The wife and I take 1 day where we are both home/free at the same time, to do all of our prep for the coming 2 weeks and with 2 people doing it then it goes by really quickly and agin, makes it so much easier to stay on track with your healthy eating plan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 3:17 PM, instagrande said:

^TBH I won't order from supplement source again. Seems like almost everything I bought in my last order gives me terrible acid reflux or gives me diarrhea. And they don't take returns on anything opened

wow that's kind of odd, i felt the same but i chalked it up to me buying their short dated (expired or almost expired) supplements 

i never had any digestive issues with the same brand/product i bought elsewhere, albeit they weren't short-dated

maybe something is wrong with supplementsources supplements they put on clearance, like being in the heat too long/in the sun/humidity. I noticed some of their optimum nutrition whey proteins came sealed in the plastic that covers the lid, but when you open it the white cardboard that seals the container under the lid wasn't intact. Same thing with allmax isoflex i got from them

when i contacted them they said i could return unopened tubs, but would have to pay shipping back to them and they would charge me for the shipping the original order to me, since i got free shipping. They also have a restocking fee in the return policy

anyone else experience the same?

the low prices are pretty unbeatable there, they have $50 for 7.5lbs of optimum nutrition gold standard on clearance, they also just had a 10% off clearance which would have made it $45 

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...