Rotator Cuff - on or off?

scubadiver

Just curious about peoples opinion - I had a tear in my rotator cuff so I was out of the gym for 10 weeks following my doctor's advice to stay out and let it heal. I"m back in the gym now and working through the shoulder pain with super light weight... and people giving me strange looks lifting such light weights LOL.

My question is we know AAS speed up recovery..and while i'm not looking for a shortcut per se as i do cruise with TRT, it is frustrating having been out for so long. I could do a blast but considering my injury limits me to light weight, is it worth it for the benefit of getting back to 100% faster? Or should i wait it out because it would be a waste?

Thanks

2 hours ago, scubadiver said:

Just curious about peoples opinion - I had a tear in my rotator cuff so I was out of the gym for 10 weeks following my doctor's advice to stay out and let it heal. I"m back in the gym now and working through the shoulder pain with super light weight... and people giving me strange looks lifting such light weights LOL.

My question is we know AAS speed up recovery..and while i'm not looking for a shortcut per se as i do cruise with TRT, it is frustrating having been out for so long. I could do a blast but considering my injury limits me to light weight, is it worth it for the benefit of getting back to 100% faster? Or should i wait it out because it would be a waste?

Thanks

keep exercising and doing your physio
steroids are not going to make whatever rotator cuff muscle is torn magically heal faster.  It doesn't work that way.  If anything, being on a huge cycle may make it worse as the contractile power of the muscle is so greater than the tendon strength you're at even greater risk of fully rupturing it.  I did do a TB500 cycle (shown in a log), that helped my tennis elbow.  Maybe think about that?

Lightly work through your movements with pain levels not exceeding 3/10, as full a range as you can without compensation movements, 3-5 sets of 10-12 to fill it with blood.  Rehab is a completely different beast than bodybuilding.  If you want to lift proper again with reduced risk you need to take the necessary steps to doing things right, and then once back into lifting, adjust how the training was done (different ex's, weights, positions, etc) so you can be successful.

• Thanks 1

First off I would question why your doc had you off weights for 10 weeks. Usually once the initial inflammation and overt pain subsides, commencement of rehab exercises is recommended. Are you doing rehab exercises now and/or have you implemented a rotator cuff preventative maintenance routine? If not then you really should IMO. As you have discovered, neglecting to train rotators, even when healthy, is a great way to eventually end up with an injury.

I pretty much agree with Physlifter. Don't rush it. One of that hardest parts of dealing with injuries is finding the patience.

• Thanks 1