Finding VG injection site

djbatts19

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking of trying the VG site for my next injection. Having difficulties finding it though, maybe I’m overthinking things but all the instructions I’ve found online are for nurses administering it.

How do you guys find it on yourselves?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, djbatts19 said:

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking of trying the VG site for my next injection. Having difficulties finding it though, maybe I’m overthinking things but all the instructions I’ve found online are for nurses administering it.

How do you guys find it on yourselves?

@djbatts19 I'll tell you that the way I found easiest eventually after reading everything I could find. And it's embarrassingly simple and I felt stoopid as hell for not having discovered it sooner. One of the things I noticed is if you lack any significant definition its harder to find and for me that was a problem as I'm coming off of a serious down time due to health issues.

So here's what i figured out.

If you are going to pin in your right side say...Make sure you have a sock on your foot as this is hard to do in bare feet.Put your weight on your right leg (or left if you are pinning that side so I guess weight on the side you are going to pin) Put all of the weight on the ball of that foot and lift your heal off the ground. Rotate/swivel your foot/ankle/leg /hip. You're basically swivelling through an arc of about a half circle with the ball of your foot being the fulcrum of the swivel...you'll get the hang of it fast even though it sounds confusing. While you are doing this make sure to have the fingers of the hand on the side you will pin, planted firmly against the fleshy area that is just a few inches down from your hip bone and slightly forward of the mid line of your leg. You will feel that sucker, the VG muscle, "POP" every time you swivel your foot/ankle once you get the hang of it. It seems like a small site but isn't really just without a lot of definition the part that pops well is smaller. It will take a lot of juice though no problem and it's probably the most pain free site that I pin in. I haven't gotten to Lats yet as with the VG I have a 6 site rotation so no rush lol. Delts, Pecs, VG so even pinning every day it still gives you a bit of space b4 you get back to the same spot again.

If you can't manage to find it the way I described, although I bet you will, if you get some help it will be a boatload easier for someone else to find it and mark it for you. All of the videos online are with someone else doing it basically which doesnt help self injection really at all.

@djbatts19 listen bro there are no stupid questions here , we have heard them all and probably asked a few ourselves, nobody will flame you here , we all have a common goal here and that is to learn and grow and our love of health and fitness. So ask away !

2 hours ago, djbatts19 said:

That’s exactly where I thought it was, but what I was seeing online made me think you’re basically pinning the ol love handles 😂 pinned it last night, that was by far the easiest one to do IMO. No pain, easy to reach. Thanks a lot bro, you helped a lot.

@djbatts19 Good on you man, I knew you'd find it that way. I spent literally hours and hours watching videos, looking at pics and getting nowhere. I just couldnt get to the place where I felt confident enough that I had the right spot. It sure doesn't help that basically all the online videos are from a helper's perspective. I just refused to give up because well, I'm just stubborn that way, lol..

Listening to some of the people who have been bodybuilding for years, and have tons of definition, I was starting to feel pretty dejected because, as mentioned, due to my health issues and downtime I had less than no definition in the muscle so absolutely no way of just "finding it" because the muscle "mapped" itself and was easily seen. And to make matters worse, I lost track of how many people posted pictures of where to pin and it wasn't even the actual VG site lol...

You also will rarely see the term "Ventrogluteal" mentioned in an anatomy reference outside of a few nursing study aids.discussions like this and related literature. The corect name for it is the gluteus medius muscle. Knowing that doesn't really help much either lol but at least you can find the correct name labelled more easily in anatomy references.

Adding the VG on both sides into your rotation is a really big deal IMHO as once you've found it, it's so easy after that, painless, almost unbelievably so, and it will take a lot of juice without issue. No down sides to it at all.

Glad I could be of help and feel free to pass the methodology along to anyone at anytime as the bottom line is just getting it done and helping out in any way we can right!

Cheers

39 minutes ago, CapeBretonDadBod said:

@djbatts19 listen bro there are no stupid questions here , we have heard them all and probably asked a few ourselves, nobody will flame you here , we all have a common goal here and that is to learn and grow and our love of health and fitness. So ask away !

Couldn't have said it better. And as a real newcomer to the community I can completely relate to that feeling of anxiety about asking a question and worrying that the vets will laugh at your noobness! That's one of the really fantastic things about this particular community here at NL is that just doesn't happen! People are all about the help in any way they can and that has a huge impact on making others feel comfortable asking the questions they need answered in order for them to progesss on their own personal journey!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, method_air said:

Feel for the muscular area above and behind the hip socket, and below the crest of the illiac, as per the approximate area shown in the attached image.

glute_medius_3.jpg.ce2262caba9c0be6db16d42c7d2c1bd4.jpg

That pic is not the VentroGluteal, not the circled part anyway...I noticed when I was researching how many pics there were around that were incorrect. Didnt make things easier thats for sure.

5 hours ago, Francis "Frank" Castle said:

You also will rarely see the term "Ventrogluteal" mentioned in an anatomy reference outside of a few nursing study aids.discussions like this and related literature. The corect name for it is the gluteus medius muscle....That pic is not the VentroGluteal, not the circled part anyway...I noticed when I was researching how many pics there were around that were incorrect. Didnt make things easier thats for sure. 

The greater part of the circled area of the image is in fact the glute medius muscle you reference. I'm not a fan of injecting into the anterior/ventro glute medial area, as my internal hip rotators are extremely thick.

There will always be idiosyncrasies depending on what works for your anatomy.

If one merely goes by the textbook, it says:

ventro_gluteal.jpg.a09f55e9991adf83402a7ddd270fb84c.jpg

Edited by method_air

On 9/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, method_air said:

Feel for the muscular area above and behind the hip socket, and below the crest of the illiac, as per the approximate area shown in the attached image.

glute_medius_3.jpg.ce2262caba9c0be6db16d42c7d2c1bd4.jpg

I inject in the area you drew around, more towards the front of it, and that spot is like butter, no pip and you dint even feel it go in.

biggest thing is to nit inject too far forward, did that twice, bruising and bad pip.

Edited by Sorbate

6 hours ago, Sorbate said:

I inject in the area you drew around, more towards the front of it, and that spot is like butter, no pip and you dint even feel it go in.

biggest thing is to nit inject too far forward, did that twice, bruising and bad pip.

I agree, that's a go to spot. The more anterior glute medial area can get pretty rigid from hip abduction/spreading the floor during heavy squats.

Edited by method_air
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sorbate said:

Thanks for the info boys, I’ve been pinning pretty much where the arrow is on the anterior side of the glute medius. I’ll give the circled area a shot too, it makes sense that it might be more comfortable considering the muscle is so much more dense towards the anterior.

• 1 month later...