CapeBretonDadBod

Daycares

How much accountability do daycares have is something happens to your child ? I dropped my 3 year old off today at daycare and they pulled me into the office and said they needed to talk to me, apparently he escaped the daycare yesterday past all that staff and got away and they didn’t bother to tell me until today, then they went on to say he knows how to open gates , no shit he’s 3 he’s not an idiot now they are calling him a flight risk and want me to sign papers taking any liability off them, then I pick him up today and have to sign an incident report because he fell on an outdoor play structure and has a huge knot on his head , like wtf is nobody watching the kids , like if that was me and happened in my care fucking cps would be all over it ! So I’m paying these works so my kid can get away and get hurt ! 🤬

• Shocked 1

Jesus! I’d be upset too!

The whole point of daycare is so you don’t have to worry about your little one.. I dunno a whole lot about this stuff, but I’d be very hesitant to sign any waiver voiding a caregiver of of liability of my child.

Are there other childcare options available to you? I do know how hard it can be to find childcare.

Damn bro. Hope things work out as well as possible for you.

10 hours ago, CapeBretonDadBod said:

@GainTrain there isn’t many options , one other daycare , but spaces are very limited, now I’m nervous to drop him off.

Dude, they are 100% responsible for anything/everything involving the responsible care of your child while intheir custody. No wiggle room. If it happens on their watch it's their fault with 0 ability to rationalize away their ineptenss by saying things like "he knows how to open gates". That's absurd.

Is this a "licensed" daycare? Do not under any circumstances sign anything that absolves them of any responsibility and if they try to force you call in the authorities. At this point they already owe you a written apology and assurances in writing that they will improve the quality of supervision to prevent this happening in the future. make that an issue, it's your right! If you didn't already you need to get him to a doc/the hospital to have his head looked at but perhaps even more importantly, documented as you may need this later on.

Even though they are 100% responsible for him while in their care, if you knowingly drop him off, with reservations about the quality of the care, you then will share some of that responsibility, or at least that's what they will say if heaven forbid this ever ends up in court for any reason!

But again, you need to get him to the doc/hospital to have his head looked at and documented!

• Like 2

At the very least this place sounds like it needs to be audited. the govt sets out very strict guidlines about standards of care like how many caregivers/# of kids etc. I don't remember the numbers but they'd be easy enough to find online for your province. But based on the incidents, and their response, I think it would be wise for the govt to pay them a visit and make sure things are as they should be!

• Like 1

@Francis "Frank" Castle yes it’s a licensed daycare funded by the provincial government, each worker is allowed to supervise 5 kids , they said he’s a flight risk , makes him sound like a criminal at 3 years old, one problem I noticed is that half of the staff is facedown in their phones half the time. When he bumped his head they never bothered to call me , or when he got out they didn’t call. They told me it would be expensive to get a swipe card system for all the doors and then went on to tell me it costs them 30,000 a year in groceries, like what do I care all that isn’t my problem.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CapeBretonDadBod said:

@Francis "Frank" Castle yes it’s a licensed daycare funded by the provincial government, each worker is allowed to supervise 5 kids , they said he’s a flight risk , makes him sound like a criminal at 3 years old, one problem I noticed is that half of the staff is facedown in their phones half the time. When he bumped his head they never bothered to call me , or when he got out they didn’t call. They told me it would be expensive to get a swipe card system for all the doors and then went on to tell me it costs them 30,000 a year in groceries, like what do I care all that isn’t my problem.

Oh great reaction on their part. try to excuse their shortcomings by pleading the hardships of running a business lol. Jesus Christ, every 3 year old is a fucking flight risk, thats why they need adult supervision!

At 3 years old my mom locked me in the backyard in a fenced area, safe right, except for the tv antenna that I climbed, slipped, fell and my guardian angel somehow managed to have the elastic stirrup from my snow pants get hooked on the way down and halt my fall from 30' in the air lol...No idea how long I dangled scrwaming my fool little head off but I was rescued by the milkman who was driving past and saw me from the front of the house, thats how high up I was dangling lolololol...Part of the problem these days is that people seem to have forgotten that kids, easpecially at that age, need constant supervision, PERIOD...Portraying anything else is just lame ass excuses on their part!

• Like 1

Fuck. That.

They are trying to get you to release liability, they are 100% liable. If they are under staffed, they are required to staff to capacity by law. 

I would also report this immediately. Kids run around. Get into shit. That’s being a child. That’s what they get paid for. They aren’t allowed to ask you to release liability unless you’re doing things like travel, sign a waiver so if the bus gets hit you won’t sue etc etc. Plus anything thing related to your children at day care has to be disclosed immediately, not 24 -36 hrs after the fact. I’d call/report. See exactly what your rights are here. Could be a more serious problem. And you might not be the only parent reporting it. And if that’s the case, it’s time to stick it to these pricks and move on. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your little guy's mishap. Hope he is ok.

As others stated, the daycare is 100% responsible for your child and liable for everything that happens while under their care. It's why they carry "liability insurance".

Do not, under any circumstances, sign a waiver. I know it's not in our nature, as friendly Canadians, to rock the boat, but when your own child is involved, the gloves come off.

I'm not trying to agitate you brother, but they are trying to make you eat a big, steamy plate of shit. My dad always told me "you may get in shit, you may have to take some shit, but don't ever eat shit." 

Frankly, if you are certain they are "face down on their phones", you can level a charge of "willful neglect of duty" 

https://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Misconduct_MC_310.htm

It's an American site, but the principle is universal.

I have had similar shit happen with my son at school when he was younger (many, many long stories lol). A call to cps, local tv station, local newspaper, ministry of family services, and a letter to the principal always worked.

Good luck buddy!

@Francis "Frank" Castle @MuscleDummy @LvnLrge thanks for all the input guys I don’t believe we will sign there waiver or so called action plan as they are calling it, we have also documented it as well as photo documentation of the mess of his ear and the big knot on the side of his head. I know you don’t cross a protective momma she’s angry , I am too but she carried him for 9 months so the instinct kicks in , she’s like we get on tren lol.

Ok just a little update on this matter, I called the province and spoke to the people in charge of regulations in regards to daycares they were thrown back when I emailed them a copy of the letter and photos of all the gate systems , they went did and inspection of the facility and then had a meeting with the daycare director and went through all the files for all the children and said there were several violations, it gets better after it was all set and done a few days after the dust cleared the daycare called me and said , they want there 200.00 for the days he was there and that they no longer wish to offer child care for him any longer.

• Like 1

So they are playing "sour grapes" now and targeting your child?

Petty bastards for real.

Glad to hear you took action and got results. Operations like that need to have the light shone upon them.

Hopefully you find a great, new daycare for your little guy soon! 

He’s on a waiting list for a new one now , I’ve been reading the reviews and spoke to a few parents that their kids go there and I’m getting lots of positive feedback, so that’s all I can go by for now.

• Like 2

We just got a registered letter today from the daycare , saying we are sorry that relationship with your family and our daycare family has deteriorated, we simply asked you to sign a letter and have a meeting , but your child’s spot has been filled and we do not wish to have any further communication on this issue please pay outstanding balance of 200.90 for time spent in our facility or we will have no choice to place your debt in collections, like wtf man 200 bucks really fuck them easily paid.