Steroids and opiate pain killers

Curious of your guys opinions on this.

Clearly we know there habe been a lot of deaths in the past from heroin/oxy/nubaine in the bodybuilding world. 

Very short version of my story is....I was in a very rough car accident in 2003 and have had pain issues ever since.  Rather than live my life as if I'm in my 80s I made the decision in 2015 to be on opiate painkillers long term. Atleast until I find a better solution or my pain somehow subsides.

Doctor put me on methadone as a result and I've been on it ever since. Reason for methadone and not oxy or morphine etc was my choice.  I have a history of being on the wrong side of the law and I didn't want the temptation of having $10k worth of pills in my cabinet every month if I was a little low on funds.

To me..all opiates are more or less equally shitty for me. But for the time being it's a necessary evil.

I use juice also..of course.  And get blood work done regularly.

How much of a risk am I putting myself at by being on opiates with multiple steroid cycles per year?

Any opinions are valued.

Thanks for your time.

What type of pain are we talking? I really don't think any long term use of pain killers is ideal, especially a prescription opiate. If it's required, what else are you going to do but I would exhaust all options before taking that on for life.

A lot of alternatives won't do shit for most people but once you find the one that works for you it's worth it - physical therapies - massage, ART, chiro, oesto, etc., low impact exercise like swimming, THC/CBD, radio waves, SCS, corticosteroids, heat and/or cold treatments - heat shock proteins have been shown to decrease inflammation and chronic pain.  

I would exhaust all options even as supplements to help you lower the dependence on opiates 

I think opiates are horrible for bodybuilders. many diff reasons. they mask youe natural pain while training and can cause you to overtrain. they lower T levels. 

they mess up your focus, they seem to decrease strength a small amount as well. 

BUT!!!!! if you were in a accident, your situation is much different than normal. hard to say, all I will say is that if there isnt any other option and you know that to be the truth, then take those bitches if it really helps in a non addictive way. I was on hdryocodone for a dislocated shoulder and damaged nerve, a lil over a month, and i for SURE wouldnt have been able to sleep without them because the pain. so its really up to your specific situation and what works best for you.

but for bodybuilding it basically is working against you in multiple ways. the juice will counter balance that, but itll be less effective of a cycle cuz the opiates IMO

basically end result is you will still look great as long as you have a healthy lifestyle and diet but you would look better without it

Edited by eightyeight14

I’m not a fan of opiates I was on them from a surgery I had and even then I found they were hard on the body , they also lower the immune response just as some gear does so if you get sick especially in these times it could be worse or even fatal in what’s around now , Maybe try a taper and I know this might sound like a broken record but give it an honest chance , try CBD oil give it time to get into your system I mean a good amount of time and stick with it and taper your opiate use while on the CBD it’s much better for your body also , opiates also play with your bowels and even cause constipatation  and rectal bleeding at times.

I'm going to agree with @CapeBretonDadBod

The effects are not ideal and CBD and other methods MAY help. Its best to have an open minded Doctor to talk with. 

After taking a moment and looking at some studies done in regards to your particular opiate; there is some mid ground between it's liver interaction and health concerns. 

Methadone is not heptoxic on its own but it is metabolized via the liver and can remain in some persistence for up to 6 weeks (dosage varies). So while taking certain oral compounds you would have to be aware of this as in patients with levels of liver damage or cirrhosis had a  negative effect from methadone. Essentially if there is existing damage or if you're already over loading it methadone makes it worse.

Now for the most part there are some LIMITED studies with a few of the commonly prescribed steroids and methadone; there seems to be no interactions between the compounds used.  These are US studies and only use very common low dosed steroids though, so very limited.  

There is anecdotal evidence out there, but anecdotal evidence means nothing without the evidence to prove its more than opinion. 

Regardless stay healthy

On 5/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, Blitz said:

What type of pain are we talking? I really don't think any long term use of pain killers is ideal, especially a prescription opiate. If it's required, what else are you going to do but I would exhaust all options before taking that on for life.

A lot of alternatives won't do shit for most people but once you find the one that works for you it's worth it - physical therapies - massage, ART, chiro, oesto, etc., low impact exercise like swimming, THC/CBD, radio waves, SCS, corticosteroids, heat and/or cold treatments - heat shock proteins have been shown to decrease inflammation and chronic pain.  

I would exhaust all options even as supplements to help you lower the dependence on opiates 

I agree 100% with exhausting all options. Ive tried just about everything. But it seems lately every 6 months theres a new treatment so I feel confident in that.

As for type of pain...essentially without boring u I broke my back, leg, pelvis, torn all+mcl, and torn large and small intestines from seatbelt.  Ive had so many abdominal surgeries that my abs are scarred together and have very little strength.  Think john meadows scar x 5.  Cant sit up out of bed without pushing myself up.  Which makes heavy compound lifts much more difficult..but doable. Currently needing a full hip and knee replacement at 35 years old...on seperate sides which sucks. Atleast if on same side I could have a strong side lol.

I appreciate the facts/opinions fellas

• 2 weeks later...

Try to stay away from the opioids if possible brother. I’ve seen too many good men go down bc of those.  I am not educated enough on rehab and alternatives. But geez, I’d hate to see those drugs consume you like they have so many others. 

Edited by Lionsfan4