Metformin / Glucophage

Ryujiin

I was not sure what section to throw this up under but I did not find a thread on Metformin so I thought why not start one.  I have been seeing a lot more people taking this in the 1g to 2g dose per day (divided) for both body comp and anti-aging. 

Love to hear some thoughts for the NL crew. 

Most info out there is of course purely for medical use in a type 2 diabetes treatment setting. 

I've heard good things however it seems like most bodybuilders now use berberine instead of metformin. There are studies showing 1500mg of berberine is the same as 1500mg of metformin.

If you find a good glucose disposal agent they usually include berberine, cinnamon and other supplements that in sum do more than metformin.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:12 PM, Blitz said:

I've heard good things however it seems like most bodybuilders now use berberine instead of metformin. There are studies showing 1500mg of berberine is the same as 1500mg of metformin.

If you find a good glucose disposal agent they usually include berberine, cinnamon and other supplements that in sum do more than metformin.

Currently using 500mg berberine 2-3x a day with meals containing 60-75gr carbs. I've used metformin a long while back and much prefer berberine to it. I got lots of gas from metformin and minor bloating from it. Nothing from berberine...

In fact toss 2-3 berberine back with a couple five guys burgers and fries at night, go hit legs the next morning, prepare for a pump. 

• 1 year later...

I have been using metformin for several years

the numerous health benefits and anti-aging properties and disease prevention benefits make metformin one of the best drugs you can take

the bloating and gas from metformin is due to the fact you have a large amount of bad bacteria in your gut, this will pass in time, just reduce the dose and keep going

make sure to take after a meal as this will help for those that suffer from this

best health benefits come from around 1800mg daily from medical studies which is an odd number since most are 500mg tab dose

start with 1000mg and once your stomach gets better bump to 1500mg

Berberine is good also but metformin is much better, not in same league, plus much of berberine is of low quality so beware

some coaches don't like it because of the fact it reduces igf-1, but if you are on gear you have nothing to worry about

others complain of a lowered testosterone level but I have done my blood work even when not on any gear and it didn't effect me at all

one of the best long term health compounds you can take plus it does help drop fat from another pathway, increase good gut bacteria, prevents diabetes, heart disease and even cancer among numerous other benefits

• 6 months later...