Keto diet while on gear.

Mikk0090

Hey all.  This is a topic that is rarely discussed, and there isn’t much real world experience found on the net.  For some, it seems just the topic of no carbs on cycle is controversial, a lot of “bro science” out there from guys who have never ran a keto diet trying to say that carbs are a necessity while on cycle.   I understand the thinking around carbs and insulin release to gain muscle, it’s a tried and true idea.   Let’s face it, being in bulk mode on a deca cycle, we get to eat all of those yummy carbs in the name of putting on mass.

i for one have ran a few cycles, both bulking and cutting cycles while on a keto diet.  Yes I did play  around with my carbs a bit to get the best benefit around workouts, but always maintained ketosis at the end of the day via the pee sticks. While bulking, I did find it hard to hit my calorie marks, as a keto diet helps with not feeling hunger all the time.  But that is easily combatted with a good MCT oil shake and such things like “keto coffee”. It’s pretty much the easiest thing in the world to add a couple tablespoons of oil to your protein shake and add an additional 400 calories.      While cutting, it’s basically the easiest diet to follow with amazing results.  Never hungry, a shit load of energy, and awesome mental clarity.  In any diet, if I’m thinking about low carb, I’ll always opt for no carb just so I’m not feeling like trash in a deficit.

as far as gear goes,  the only compound I struggled with maintaining a no carb diet was when I ran tren.  Tren seems like it demands carbs or it will make you feel like dog shit, but for some reason I found that running a moderate dose of eq along side the tren takes those sides away while eating no direct sources of carbs.  

real world experience.    I have personally gained 10 lbs of lean muscle while on a simple test/deca/dbol 10 week cycle while on keto.  I kept about 8lbs of that after returning to maintenance test dose.  Granted I didn’t have that huge and full look that normally comes with that cycle, but in no means was I flat.  Muscles were still popping and had great definition, I just didn’t look like I had a pump 24/7.   I started at 215lbs at about 13% body fat.  I was bulking on 4K cals with 1 junky cheat meal a week.  I ended at 225 lbs and 11% body fat.   I can tell you that strength kept improving, but did notice I would gas out a bit quicker on high volume days due to having a bit less glycogen in my muscles,  but the gear definitely made that better than when running keto off cycle.   Bloat was almost non existent, but I could still tell the 40mg dbol was still doing it’s work, just not as amplified in a high carb diet,  which I didn’t mind much because I could work through a good deltoid workout without having to rest due to the painful ass dbol pumps. 

so now let’s get to the point.  Number one, I would like any feedback positive or negative about this concept.   And number 2, I am coming to the end of my test/deca bulk, and will be soon transitioning into a different cycle in which I plan on running a strict keto diet with.   Is anyone interested in me putting a log together while running this type of diet during cycle?  As I stated before, a lot of info on this subject either doesn’t exist or is super bias due to the bro science of it all.  

let me know!

Id be interested to see you do a log on a keto diet man. Me personally, I cant live without carbs lol, would be interesting to see if you can still pack on some quality tissue, 10lbs of lean tissue is no joke since youve been lifting for a while.

Thoughts on keto while cutting? Ive tried it once but I had so much trouble finding what to eat and recipes that were quick and easy to do that I gave up.

When you say maintenance dose of TRT, what is it? 200mg a week? 

Keto while cutting is actually easier (for me) than low carb or carb cycling.  For one it keeps you fuller longer, and you don’t get the ups and downs of a low carb diet.  I for one just enjoy the way I feel when fully in ketosis.    There are some good sources out there, and there are some terrible sources when it comes to a keto diet, especially for bodybuilding.   It’s not all about bacon and cheese lol..   even though I do incorporate a lot of natural cheeses into my keto diets,  I like a good aged white cheddar for a quick snack.  

once you can get the lifestyle change down, it gets pretty easy.  It’s the first couple weeks that can suck when starting a no carb diet, especially if you’re new to it.  In my experience it’s easier to stay in a calorie deficit, then in a surplus while on keto.  The surplus is where it really gets tricky.

for some good direction, go to YouTube and search “Dave palumbo keto”. He is like the god of the keto diet in the bodybuilding world.

the diet is a fast easy way to get dry and shredded while not starving yourself and feeling like ass.  I’ve used it many many many times during a cut,  the only thing I don’t like is you lose muscle fullness without the carbs unless your on gear.   I’ve even used dbol and anadrol on a keto diet in a cut to stay full and only held a tiny bit of water.

test dose.  Generally I do 1/2cc of whatever dose test I have on hand.  I have 300mg test e right now so my maintenance dose would be 150mg.   It works for me, and I tend not to lose much of my gains and keeps my sex drive up.  Personally, anything 200mg and above I consider being on cycle, at that dose your levels are more than twice their normal levels.  

as far as gains go.  I do love the initial blowing up while starting a bulk cycle with an oral like dbol or anadrol, just to look huge from the water.  But bulking with keto with gear is a little different,  you still get some water from the gear but not as much.  In my experience, dbol made me big and full but not bloated, and as the cycle went on my gains were much more noticeable because I wasn’t adding fat and water at the same time with all the carbs.  The performance in gym suffers the first few weeks, but half way through I couldn’t tell much difference aside from maybe getting 2 or 3 reps less on high volume days than I would have with carbs.    On keto you generally never have to worry about hitting protein macros, it’s the calories that can be challenging during a bulk.  But calories aren’t everything,  I’ve gained in a deficit many times, it just depends on what are making up those calories.  3k cals of carbs a day will make you fat, while 3k cals of protein would lean you out and gain at the same time, and any unneeded protein gets stored as glycogen.   

I know keto is all the rage right now, but most of that keto shit at the store is just a gimmick to make money.   But the principal has been around for thousands of years.   And I’ve personally used the diet many different ways and for different reasons over the past 15 years.

• Like 1

Ok all, so I’ve talked to my wife about the whole keto thing.  She’s on board lol.  Long story short she is wanting to lose her post pregnancy weight, and keto is about the only diet she can follow with any type of success.  Which means we both started keto today lol.

ive got about 3 more weeks of deca, which means a good 5 weeks of it being peaked in my system.  Went grocery shopping today for some goodies.  I will start posting my log later on this evening after the gym with a starting pic and weight.

• Like 1