Politics in BodyBuilding Competition - What ya think?

I would say certainly suspect at the minimum. He had be involved with the Olympia behind the scenes for a while by then. His entry was also a last minute surprise (as I recall the story going) he was never announced before the show. And at the show he kept doing wrong (but strong for him) poses instead of the called out poses. Like doing a side bi instead of side tri, saying he couldn’t hear the announcement properly. 

add that to his 1971 win (all be it he was in great shape that year. Great) but he was literally the ONLY one competing for the title. Everyone else was disqualified before the show. So not sure I’d call that a competitive win either. 

so 7 titles yeah, but I’d say he only really won 5. 2 where handed to him. IMO. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MuscleDummy said:

I would say certainly suspect at the minimum. He had be involved with the Olympia behind the scenes for a while by then. His entry was also a last minute surprise (as I recall the story going) he was never announced before the show. And at the show he kept doing wrong (but strong for him) poses instead of the called out poses. Like doing a side bi instead of side tri, saying he couldn’t hear the announcement properly. 

add that to his 1971 win (all be it he was in great shape that year. Great) but he was literally the ONLY one competing for the title. Everyone else was disqualified before the show. So not sure I’d call that a competitive win either. 

so 7 titles yeah, but I’d say he only really won 5. 2 where handed to him. IMO. 

I agree with your opinion, there was definitely some shenanigans going on favoring Arnold based on a number of articles and tubes I have seen on the competition.  The fact that most of the judges were very good friends of Arnold, and he was allowed to enter the competition at the last moment, while all the other competitors had to announce there entry a lot earlier, would show some degree of favoritism towards Arnold.  

Looking at the other side of the coin, bodybuilding is such a subjective sport when it comes to judging ... all the competitors know that personal preferences of judges will surface in the scoring.  It's not like throwing the shot put or the 100 yard dash... you either throw the farthest or cross the finish line first, these things are measurable... judging a bodybuilding contest is based on subjective preferences someone has towards who has the most muscular, defined and aesthetically pleasing body ... how the hell do objectively determine that ..lol.

I honestly think that every bodybuilder that competes, especially the ones that want to make a living at it, they have to acquire political skills to make themselves look more positive to the promoters and the judges within the bodybuilding community ( the exception may be Dorian Yates). 

I have entered competitions where some of the judges were involved in the fitness industry training the ppl that were competing, others were promoters who showed preference to those competitors that came from a certain camp that brought the most competitors to the competition.  So I was aware that I may not win because of these circumstances, I was actually surprised that I did quite well in all the competitions I entered. There were 2 competitions where I was unable to beat competitors from a certain trainer that brought a lot of competitors to the competitions, even though my coach said I had it in the bag.  That was ok with me cause I was competing cause I was trying to get in the best shape of my life and get as ripped as possible for all the shows ... winning for me was secondary. I did achieve my goals. I was not interested in the politics or getting to know the promoters or judges which hurt me but that was ok.

So in my opinion, the competitors who were not happy with the results in the 1980 Olympia, well that's to bad … bodybuilding judging is subjective and if you have little political influence and are not substantially better than everyone else … you may not do so well even if you think you deserved to place higher. So suck it up butter cup … it is what it is. The judges determines who wins period, you don't like subjective judging ...don't compete in bodybuilding. Stop whinning Zane.. Mentzer and Coe ...IMO

There are Definitely politics in bodybuilding.  I’ve seen it personally.  The up and coming guys will pose in a natural, tested show (while on gear) and their tests will stay private, as they go on to the next level.  Big names bring big money to shows.  Arnold was a popular, charismatic guy.  He along with a couple others brought bodybuilding and especially the Olympia more main stream.  More people in the seats is more money for the sport.     But there are politics in everything.    Is it fair?  Absolutely not.  Are there guys out there that could compete at a higher level than they do?  Obviously yes.    Don’t count out the rivalries too.   Bottom line, when you get past locals and regionals, there is a lot of pressure to bring a fan base with you.  Which ultimately means more dollars for the organization.   There have been quite a few judges out there that have gone on the record to talk about the politics in the sport.  

A lot of the people who say politics are just poor sports or upset their favorite pro isn't as good as someone else. In every judged sport there is obviously subjective favoritism but it's not systemic like people want to think. Arnold returning that's people with a bit of nostalgia looking at him with rose colored glasses. Slightly controversial wins or loses usually is because people tend the favor the champion.

For the local level, yea some judges are coaches and or sponsors but if you knock out the competition, you win. Simple as that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

A lot of the people who say politics are just poor sports or upset their favorite pro isn't as good as someone else. In every judged sport there is obviously subjective favoritism but it's not systemic like people want to think. Arnold returning that's people with a bit of nostalgia looking at him with rose colored glasses. Slightly controversial wins or loses usually is because people tend the favor the champion.

For the local level, yea some judges are coaches and or sponsors but if you knock out the competition, you win. Simple as that.

You have not been to some of the competitions in NB then.  Knocking out the competition was about dollars, influence, and position not about which bodybuilder was better than the other.  I actually sat at a table of judges and promotors after a competition and heard it first hand how the top 3 were chosen in each division.  Can't get closer than that.

Edited by BloodThirster

4 minutes ago, BloodThirster said:

You have not been to some of the competitions in NB then.  Knocking out the competition was about dollars, influence, and position not about which bodybuilder was better than the other.  I actually sat at a table of judges and promotors after a competition and heard it first hand how the top 3 were chosen in each division.  Can't get closer than that.

Exactly.  I’ve seen it first hand myself. I usually place in the top 6, but never top 3,  and I know it’s mostly do to lacking body parts than I can’t seem to grow.  Skinny guys genetics lol.   But when you see a guy that obviously got 10lbs on you and obviously prepped with gear (easy to spot natty prep and gear prep)  smoke everyone because they have a name, drug tests kept hidden and obviously out of the weight class it’s pretty apparent what’s happening lol

• Like 1

Do you have some pictures of the line ups where someone who clearly should be in 5-6 place, won the show? I have never seen it. As I said, I've seen where I really thought 2nd should have won but the guy in first had more name recognition or came off another big win. But I am not sure where dollars are coming from? Most bodybuilders are pulling up to the show in a beat up car, how much influence is their money having lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blitz said:

Do you have some pictures of the line ups where someone who clearly should be in 5-6 place, won the show? I have never seen it. As I said, I've seen where I really thought 2nd should have won but the guy in first had more name recognition or came off another big win. But I am not sure where dollars are coming from? Most bodybuilders are pulling up to the show in a beat up car, how much influence is their money having lol

The dollars are coming from trainers who have numerous fitness and bodybuilding people who are representing his training business.  In NB it use to be called Just4show.  Because this guy would bring 50% of the competing athletes to the show. therefore contributing more than 50% of the entry fees, they all bought photo packages (which were sold by the president of the NB bodybuilding Association).  So if this guys athletes entered in the show they normally did significantly better.  In one show I entered I was told by on of the show organizers, promotor and a member of the NB bodybuilding association that my coach could not come in the back stage bodybuilding area.  he did tell me that the owner of just4show was able to go back there and I questioned him on why.  He said "well he brings most of the competitors to the show" ...Hmmm so once he said that I said well my coach is coming back to or a few comments may slip onto facebook.  My coach was then able to go back stage and help me out.  Hey I am not complaining at all... it is what it is ... bodybuilding is not like the 100 yard dash or the shot put ... those events can be measured objectively, you either put the shot longer or you ran faster.  So you either accept it or move on.  I did quite well every time I competed cause I normally got ripped to the point they could not ignore me, most bodybuilders came in larger but held a lot of water and/or were smooth.  here's a pic:

1566345678_frontresize.jpg.0d52a21b4eed734124ab7079bee1d86f.jpg

I've been in the amateur scene for more than 15 years now, I know many judges, I've coached many competitors and I've done quite a few shows. And can speak about my experience especially in regards to NB. 

Something I think people tend to forget in bodybuilding is that it is a subjective sport. The decision also comes from a panel of 7 judges (with the highest and lowest being knocked out) and its always a possibility that they don't agree. I have very rarely seen a big upset, in fact I don't think I can think of one (I'm talking provincially). Back in the day with the CBBF politics would have come into play much more into the national game - if anywhere. Most times people think politics are involved they're getting information from someone invested in them.

Like I said, politics in the amateur stuff I'd say very few and far between - national and pro level could be another story.  

Edited by Corey5150

As a throw in, I’d have to add that body building is a bit more like art than sport. Not saying it doesn’t take dedication commitment and athleticism. Like sport. But as far as what is considered “a winning physique” is more like art, that it evolves, unlike sport where a goal is a goal a run is a run a touch down is a touch down no matter how fast the game gets  or how the rules evolve, the basic “win” is always the same undisputed principle. But in body building like art, it’s always evolving what WAS rewarded isn’t always going TO BE rewarded. As I think we can all say we seen in our own life times. 

• Like 1

As a throw in, I’d have to add that body building is a bit more like art than sport. Not saying it doesn’t take dedication commitment and athleticism. Like sport. But as far as what is considered “a winning physique” is more like art, that it evolves, unlike sport where a goal is a goal a run is a run a touch down is a touch down no matter how fast the game gets  or how the rules evolve, the basic “win” is always the same undisputed principle. But in body building like art, it’s always evolving what WAS rewarded isn’t always going TO BE rewarded. As I think we can all say we seen in our own life times.