Do you guys watch your Hemoglobin/Hematocrit?

CLVTCH

I've been cycling on and off for so many years, but only now that I am in my late thirties am I starting to notice some of the toll it takes on my health, and I would like to minimize risk.  

So I have been on TRT since an injury when I was 17... lately it's been 100mg/week which TBH feels a little low but it's for health not for gains.

HOWEVER, as soon as I step on the gas a little my hemoglobin skyrockets.  For reference, prior to cycle I was 160.  I cycled for 8 weeks 160mg Test/wk and 450mg NPP/wk - I go to check my hemoglobin and it is 200!

Do you guys track your levels, and have you noticed this happening this fast for you as well?  Also, for those of you that have noticed this, how much of a concern is it to you?  I don't know if I am blowing this out of proportion, but the nurse looks at me like I am about to die from a stroke (which I suppose is possible).  I would love to have my cake and eat it too, but when my hemoglobin spikes so fast, even donating blood doesn't seem to slow it down.

Oh, and yes I donate every 56 days or whatever the minimum timeframe is these days.

Yeah  I hear ya.  It's frustrating. 

My doc is anal about this and takes me off until it comes down.

I don't seem to have it as bad as you,  when I donate it usually falls below range.  Except this time I couldn't get in to LifeLabs quickly enough after donating.  They closed the closest location b/c of Covid, and other locations were totally swamped and I got turned away twice.  Finally went to Dynacare and got in, but almost a week had passed and I was over again, and was told to stop.  Fuuuuuck!

I've never seen 200, that sounds high, but FWIW, if you're going by pre-donation readings, those are not very accurate. 

I'm thinking of seeking therapeutic phlebotomy if I have to wait too long.  Maybe bribe my vet if I have to 😉

Also begs a question for you and others:  Are there any compounds that have little effect on hematocrit that could be used during these intervals? Sarms maybe instead?

• Thanks 1

I know a fair number of people that supplement with IP6 (Inositol Hexaphosphate) and curcumin to help.  Also keeping the amount or iron you intake down (which tends to be high in most bodybuilding diets) helps.  Both should really be part of your health stack. I know my hemocrit will sit around 52 if I don't use something to pull it back down to within reference range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t keep track of mine too closely.  But higher than normal test, and especially nandrolones produce more red blood cells, and at extremely elevated rate.  Equipoise is even worse.  As red blood cells increase, ofcourse blood composition levels will increase.  As well as blood gasses will change.   If it gets out of hand and in the extreme high range, then blood clots, strokes, DVT,  a fib, etc can result.  But keeping your diet healthy helps quite a bit.   Keep an eye on blood pressure, and blood thickness (I will prick a finger tip) if blood is super dark red, and thick and takes a minute to poop up, you may have some issues.    That’s a good sign it’s time to dump some blood.   

I for one will usually plan on donating blood about half way through any of my heavier cycles, just for this reason, and it’s pretty instant relief.

as far as iron goes.  Extreme high levels are concerning, but low levels are far more detrimental.   Iron plays a big role in brain health and clotting for the smaller vessels.  

just my 2 cents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bobtheoldlifter sorry I should clarify, this is pre-donation (the pin prick test the nurse gives you) - I seem to recall hearing that levels drop about 10 points after donation and re-hydration (important component).  

@Ryujiin I do supplement curcumin but will try looking for this IP6 you speak of.  Diet is pretty clean, I also take fish oil caps and daily baby aspirin.

I do feel like a million bucks after donating!  The nurses also like my iron rich blood as most patients are anemic, they just don't need to know why my blood is rich : )

I would like to repeat the question posed above, are there any PED's that do not increase hemoglobin to the same extent as a nandrolone?  I love the gains but I love my health allllmost as much.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CLVTCH said:

@bobtheoldlifter sorry I should clarify, this is pre-donation (the pin prick test the nurse gives you) - I seem to recall hearing that levels drop about 10 points after donation and re-hydration (important component).  

@Ryujiin I do supplement curcumin but will try looking for this IP6 you speak of.  Diet is pretty clean, I also take fish oil caps and daily baby aspirin.

I do feel like a million bucks after donating!  The nurses also like my iron rich blood as most patients are anemic, they just don't need to know why my blood is rich : )

I would like to repeat the question posed above, are there any PED's that do not increase hemoglobin to the same extent as a nandrolone?  I love the gains but I love my health allllmost as much.

Most of not all PED will increase red blood cells, as this is one of the main attributes to steroids.  More blood = more nutrients to the muscle which means enhanced muscle gain.   Ofcourse some are different than others.  Nandrolones and equipoise would be towards the top, with billers like dbol and anadrol.  On the lower range would be the more mild steroids such as winny, anavar, tbol etc.    I can’t speak about tren, even though I’ve used it many times, I don’t want to give out any bad info.

remember the higher dose and longer length of time on any steroid will produce higher blood volume levels.   Short blasts usually balance themselves out.   If you are prone to issues, my only good advice to give, is to try them one at a time at lower doses.   Everyone reacts differently.     You already know how you react to 400mg of nandrolone on top of your test.   Next try something like masteron, or an oral.   Get to know the deal for everything and the side effects for your own body.   All of the information on the net is great, but you can never really know for sure unless you try for yourself.

for example, my buddy can’t tolerate some orals because they give him extreme calf and lower back pumps that are just painful.   Something I don’t experience with the same drug.

the best advice I ever got while entering this world was to try each thing one by one, then you know what to expect, and then you can build your cycles.   A lot of guys skip that and go directly into stacking compounds because someone told them they might benefit from it.

• Like 1

@CLVTCH  the finger prick hemo test is not very good accuracy-wise.  I've seen widely different values compared to lab tests.  Asked my doc about it and he said it's not reliable compared to lab.

I'm gonna go back on my grapefruit seed extract and try the IP6 and Circumin and see what happens.  If it doesn't work, will try to find phlebotomy,  or maybe just a couple bar fights...been a while 🙂