This is a bit of a strange topic guys , But have any of you had an adverse reaction to an antiperspirant? I take it for granted like most of us would and place it under my arms and go , So for about 3 days now I’ve had intense itching and pain and skin flaking off and this is a tried and true antiperspirant that has been around for years I’ve used several times over the years and no Ill effect just seems odd for it to start doing it now.

Did you change scents or your under arm grooming technique?

I would take some time off from using it and maybe switch to a deodorant for a bit vs. antiperspirant. 

I would probably chalk it up to colder weather + pit trimming + the aluminum content in the anti. 

On 10/17/2020 at 8:28 AM, CapeBretonDadBod said:

This is a bit of a strange topic guys , But have any of you had an adverse reaction to an antiperspirant? I take it for granted like most of us would and place it under my arms and go , So for about 3 days now I’ve had intense itching and pain and skin flaking off and this is a tried and true antiperspirant that has been around for years I’ve used several times over the years and no Ill effect just seems odd for it to start doing it now.

You can get an allergy/sensitivity any time. For no reason. I had a similar issue after years of using the same brand. I switched to a unscented brand and also use a natural product called "Native" most days during work. Keep in mind, the natural one doesn't do a great job if you're working out or being active for a long period of time. That's when I use the unscented one.

When I shave my armpits, sometimes I get no reaction to deodorant, other times get a rash if I use it the first couple days.  Seem to be more sensitive somedays.  But just noticed that they claim 72 hours instead of 48, in order to claim that maybe they did make it with a higher concentration of some chemical that you are having a reaction to.  Let it heal up and try a different brand. 

On 10/17/2020 at 8:28 AM, CapeBretonDadBod said:

Antiperspirants contain aluminum which can cause the issues you're having, including stains in the armpit area on shirts. Switch to a regular roll-on deodorant, like Old Spice (make sure it is deo and anitperspirant) and you should feel better!

I hope because I look like a lunatic in public digging at my armpits , I don’t know if it’s the itch or the pain that’s worse but when the skin started coming off I knew there was a problem , So it is healing now I haven’t used anything under the arms just make sure I’m wearing body spray for now and keep applying until this heals up. So a deodorant will be what I’m trying in the future.

10 hours ago, CapeBretonDadBod said:

I hope because I look like a lunatic in public digging at my armpits , I don’t know if it’s the itch or the pain that’s worse but when the skin started coming off I knew there was a problem , So it is healing now I haven’t used anything under the arms just make sure I’m wearing body spray for now and keep applying until this heals up. So a deodorant will be what I’m trying in the future.

If you still experience issues even after switching, it could be an allergy to an ingredient in the deodorant/antiperspirant. Allergies can develop over time so it's possible. There's all kinds of organic deos in the market now so you've got options 👊

I know brother the pain and itch is so intense , I found this stuff I forget the name but it looks like a crystal actually the Mrs found it and it seems quite effective and it’s almost soothing to the itch and it seems to be doing a good job controlling any odour I just apply more often it’s amazing it feels like nothing is going on. It’s funny I used the previous product for years with no ill effects.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:09 PM, CapeBretonDadBod said:

I know brother the pain and itch is so intense , I found this stuff I forget the name but it looks like a crystal actually the Mrs found it and it seems quite effective and it’s almost soothing to the itch and it seems to be doing a good job controlling any odour I just apply more often it’s amazing it feels like nothing is going on. It’s funny I used the previous product for years with no ill effects.

What are you using right now? Ive been using Axe deodorant for a couple weeks now and everytime I use it my armpits gets super red, but no itching or pain. Its also the first time I experience something like that from a deodorant

Axe will do that as I believe their is an alcohol base to it or something?  That said, I am Axe (labeled as Lynx over here) guy as well for now. 

I will admit, I used to use this ladies cucumber scented anti-p for a long time. Pretty smooth lol. 

@CapeBretonDadBod There are actually deodorant stones/crystals that I have seen marketed. No liquids or gels. That could be what she grabbed you.