Tendonitis during rehab post TKR

As some might know, I had my right knee replaced in July and the last few weeks the pain during physio and when I was bending the knee was pretty bad. I knew that physio was supposed to hurt but after all these years of training (more than 35) I also know what's normal and what's not and that burning sensation and warmth were not normal. I had X rays and an ultrasound and it appears that my patellar tendon and the collateral ligaments (left and right) are inflamed. Now what? I still do physio and a lot of Kinetec .....

I don't think I am going to be able to completely solve your problem, but maybe I can help. I developed severe patella tendonosis from squatting like a maniac 2+ times a week. Any action that required flexion of the knee caused pain. This wrap helped me tremendously, both in reduction of pain and helping the tendon rehab. That being said, why your tendon is inflamed is another story, I imagine it may be a compensatory mechanism after your surgery? Your tendons are taking the load for a weakness elsewhere.  

• Like 1

Mcconnell taping method is fantastic at alleviating the patella tendon tension that has developed from this.  Focused modalities like the ultrasound, acupuncture, interferential can work well on reducing local inflammation.  Generally, there are 2 sources you have to look at as to why it's developed: locally in the knee itself due to trauma, or indirectly from weak muscle above and below the joint that may be loading the knee more into a valgus or buckling in position.  So weak glutes, and poor dynamic balancing (unsteady surface, not a flat floor).  The continued low intensity exercise flooding blood into the knee is the best method over long term, but you may have to rely on short term modality work and avoiding those big painful movements entirely in order to get that neuro sensitivity down.

The video above is ok but a bit more complex to get the job done.  This is the same group doing the method I prefer:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, millenium girl said:

Thanks guys. It"s the collateral ligaments that cause the most pain right now. All I do is the Kinetec (3 hours a day), I really need it.

Passive traction hurts a lot but PT insists I do it ?

PL, is it OK to wear a knee sleeve?

Absolutely. The compression itself will be helpful, and it will provide proprioceptive feedback to you so you'll be more aware of your knee in space.  

• Like 1

On October 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Physlifter said:

Absolutely. The compression itself will be helpful, and it will provide proprioceptive feedback to you so you'll be more aware of your knee in space.  

Any particular brand? I bought an Incrediwear. It is supposed to be a good one after TKR but if you think that another one would be more appropriate please tell me.

10 hours ago, millenium girl said:

Any particular brand? I bought an Incrediwear. It is supposed to be a good one after TKR but if you think that another one would be more appropriate please tell me.

doesn't really matter, whether you spend 30 bucks  or 100 bucks they all do the same thing; whatever feels comfortable to you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, millenium girl said:

Thank you.

One more question. Sometimes my knee kinda gives in. Not sure what to think....

Does pain  happen before it gives (or is it just always generally there)?  Pain has an inhibitory effect where it shuts down local musculature to protect itself from whatever 'threat' is occuring.  Usually there is a misfire in quad/ham coordination and it causes the joint to move beyond a certain degree and little sensors that surround the tissue go off and shut down before bad things happen.  Best way to solve that is through continued conditioning and desensitization of the tissues.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Physlifter said:

Does pain  happen before it gives (or is it just always generally there)?  Pain has an inhibitory effect where it shuts down local musculature to protect itself from whatever 'threat' is occuring.  Usually there is a misfire in quad/ham coordination and it causes the joint to move beyond a certain degree and little sensors that surround the tissue go off and shut down before bad things happen.  Best way to solve that is through continued conditioning and desensitization of the tissues.

When I read everything you write I wish you would be my physio. What you describe is exactly how it feels.

It happens after physio or the Kinetec. It looks as if something is looser, I walk better but then it happens and the pain is back and knee is stiff again. 

What should I for continued conditioning (Kinetec? Pool walking? Seated leg curls?) and desensitization of the tissues?

Once again thank you for your advice. I really appreciate everything you do.