Referral Program & How To Use It

Jake

Hey ladies and gents,

I thought I would make a quick announcement to highlight a huge new feature, a new referral program, as well as some smaller updates at the end of this thread.

First of all, the referral program! I've seen a lot of passionate NL members referring members from old boards as well as personal friends and family, and I thought it was about time we rewarded the folks who are helping our amazing community grow, so that's what I introduced the referral program. 

Now there's 2 ways to use the new program, first, all you have to do is tell someone to sign up, nothing fancy, but when they do sign up, they will be met with a new registration screen. And by new, I mean it's the exact same thing, but has one more text box on it, for the new user to tell us which member referred them, so be ready to give whoever you refer to the community your handle. It will look like this:

r44d3.png

You see at the bottom? A new user can put your name in (in this case, my name) and you'll get credit for referring them, after they make 5 new threads or replies to other threads. To protect against abuse, I will be reviewing these posts and profiles to make sure people aren't just creating alt accounts to get rewards for referring members.

Now this is only one way you can refer members, but say you don't want to have to give instructions and your handle to everyone you refer to the forums, you want a set-it and forget-it method to refer members for your social media etc? Well we can do that too!

In the top right of the forum, click your name and a menu should slide down, under where it says settings, you should see a referrals button, click on that. It should bring you to a screen looking like this:

gzesp.png

It should be pretty empty, but of course will start to populate as you refer members. Go ahead and click on the settings button, this should bring you to a pop up that looks a little bit like this:

6rqtu.png

Before you continue, make sure the checkbox under "Collecting referrals" is checked, so that the referrals count towards your account and you are rewarded for it. Now that you have this pop up open, in the big green box shown above, you will be shown your own unique referral link (do not use the one in the screenshot above, I don't want your referrals!) and you can post that on social media, forums you have permission to post on, your own websites, etc. If a user signs up after clicking your unique link, it will automatically be credited to you, but that's only if they sign up via your link.

Rewards: 

Well, obviously we can't let you go empty handed for referring users, so there is a new group on the forums called supporter. It's a role that will make your name and group color orange for as long as you keep referring users. 

You can earn it for the first time by referring 5 people to the board, and they will count after they post 5 pieces of content, whether that be threads or replies to other threads, then after that, you have to refer at least 1 user a month to keep the role, or just remain active on the forums. If you are inactive, AND not referring users (as long as you are doing one or the other, you're fine) the role will automatically be removed.

For now, the role is just cosmetic, and doesn't offer any special access, but this may change in the future as the program grows bigger.

More rewards may be added in the future as members refer more and more users to the board, this is still in very early access.

Other Features Added:

- There are now small buttons on each members badge that allow you to perform quick actions with another user, instead of having to go through multiple clicks to other pages on the forum just to message someone, or to see their other content. Now you'll profiles looking something like this:

zg6bx.png

You can hover your mouse over each button to see what you do, this should make messaging other users a lot faster.

- You may also notice that usernames are now coloured based on whatever group you are in all over the forums, rather than just in posts, just to keep it a unified experience across the forums, and to see which members are part of what groups, rather than everyones names be one colour. It will now look something like this:

au0gn.png

Okay maybe this wasn't the last thing, but something small I want to add, the 50 limit on personal messages has been lifted, we have plenty of server space, so there's no need for limits anymore.

Well, I think that's it for now, if there are any changes to the referral program (I have a few ideas in mind still) I will update this thread accordingly.

Thanks for your continued support NL, you guy and gals are awesome, and please get those suggestions submitted in the suggestions forum, I'll be happy to take a look and see what we can do in the future. I look forward on working on more features to make the board even better in the future, and I'm happy to be along for the ride.

Cheers,

P.S. If you've invited someone in the past, please post here that you invited them and what their username/ handle is (not their email), and I can manually add it to your profile.

• Jake unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...