Egg White Nutrition: Better Than Whole Eggs?

musclebeauty

Aug 16, 2018
Egg Whites - The Vitamins, Minerals and Gains

egg1.jpg
When it comes to micronutrients, whole eggs drop a people?s elbow on egg white nutrition. Here are the numbers:

• Whole eggs have 4% of your daily value (DV) of iron while egg whites have 0%.
  • Whole eggs have 8% of your DV of phosphorus while egg whites have 0.5%. Phosphorus is essential for bone health and also helps transport cellular energy with ATP (adenosine triphosphate). Yes, the same ATP that creatine helps with.
  • Whole eggs have 3% of your DV of zinc while egg whites have 0%. Zinc is essential for immune health and testosterone support.
  • Whole eggs have 5% of your DV of folate while egg whites have 0%. Folate is essential in blood cell formation. Folate helps convert carbohydrate into energy.
  • Whole eggs have 4% vitamin A versus 0% in egg whites. This is vital for healthy vision.
  • Whole eggs have 8% vitamin D while egg whites have 0%.
  • Whole eggs have 26% choline and 191mg lutein and zeaxanthin.

There is no doubt about the health benefits from micronutrients. But what about macronutrients?

• Both have less than one gram of carbs.
  • Whole eggs have around 5g fat versus 0g in egg whites.
  • Protein is 6-7g in whole eggs versus 3 grams in a white.
  • Pastured whole eggs have around 280mg cholesterol versus 0 in egg whites. (I will explain the different eggs later on)

The Differences Between Egg Whites and Whole Eggs

If going for overall wellness and macronutrient count is not a concern, whole eggs reign supreme. But for body composition, macros are king. This is why the fat in whole eggs forces those dieting with a lower fat diet to use egg whites.

Trust me, as a bodybuilder, I prefer the taste of whole eggs and I am sure most of my brethren do as well. BUT one still needs some fat in the diet and the fat and nutrients from whole eggs is a great thing to have, or is it?

While regular, inexpensive eggs are okay, they are not great. We try to get ?pastured? eggs, but if needed settle for ?omega 3 enriched? eggs. What is the difference?

• Commercial Eggs: Chickens raised in packed coups, fed low-quality, grain-based food.
  • Omega-3 Eggs: Feed is supplemented with flax seeds and they may have some access to outside.
  • Pastured Eggs: Chickens are allowed to roam free and eat plants and insects - their NATURAL diet.

Always opt for pastured eggs. When those are not available, get omega-3 eggs. When those are not available, as an absolute last option, use commercial eggs.

The Take Home

When watching macronutrient intake, I recommend you keep at least one egg in your daily intake of food. For example, if I needed 42 grams of protein but wanted to keep fat to around 10 grams for my meal, I would have:

• 2 whole eggs: 12g Protein
  • 10 egg whites: 30g Protein

If you are just a person trying to eat whole, healthy meals and not counting macros, a good breakfast would be:

• 2 whole eggs
  • 2 Slices Ezekiel bread
  • Grapefruit

The Whole Story

If you were wondering about egg white nutrition and if egg whites were better than whole eggs, I hope this cleared up all of the confusion you had over what is best for you. Because eating whole eggs for better health and eating egg whites for a sexy body?That's not a game!

Reactions: Jr. and MSCLMAMA
I personally like raw eggs, my body takes to them well because of my metabolism. I do 8 to 12 depends where I stand on weight.

I dont do much theory searching but my thoughts is when you cook your egg and it turns bleach white your burning off big % of nutrition. And drinking them is faster