Favorite era of bodybuilding - best rival matches

MarcusAurelius

VET
Aug 15, 2018
I have to say that I am a fan of the old era of Jay Cutler vs Phil Heath, there was something to say about those days, the ever persistent but never top dog Branch Warren always showing up looking like what a human version of a pitpull would look resemble.

I got into the game watching Jay Culter and Ronnie Coleman in 2001. Never saw anything like that before and that's what hooked me onto bodybuilding.

I got into the game watching Jay Culter and Ronnie Coleman in 2001. Never saw anything like that before and that's what hooked me onto bodybuilding.
Same here! I really liked how jay constantly was at Ronnie's heels but couldn't eclipse him. But when Jay beat him, he beat him bad. Then again, Ronnie's career was done then.

Reactions: MarcusAurelius
Imo, There's the classic 80s for me with Arnold and Mentzer, the early 90s with Dorian and then The Ronnie, Jay and Phil Health era.

Bar none, two of the legends (I knew one of them personally) that got robbed are El Sonbaty and Kevin Levrone.

My personal favs are Jay and Kevin Levrone.

Imo, There's the classic 80s for me with Arnold and Mentzer, the early 90s with Dorian and then The Ronnie, Jay and Phil Health era.

Bar none, two of the legends (I knew one of them personally) that got robbed are El Sonbaty and Kevin Levrone.

My personal favs are Jay and Kevin Levrone.
Both Mentzer and El Sonbaty got robbed, I agree. Levrone, not quite as bad, but they still made a bad call with him, he was a pretty clear winner in a few areas; but at least his name is still held in a pretty high regard, Mentzer has been relegated to a cult following, and Nassar is just remembered by the older "wiser" crowd. He always came across so focused and intelligent, but quiet.

On a different note, I was never a fan of Kai Greene, he was impressive and all that, but he always rubbed me the wrong way, I just could not get behind him and that's besides the grapefruit history.

• Haha
Reactions: a_ahmed
On a different note, I was never a fan of Kai Greene, he was impressive and all that, but he always rubbed me the wrong way, I just could not get behind him and that's besides the grapefruit history.
Kai became the people's champ because he still embodied old school training, and cooking his food in his dingy apartment despite having wealth.
His training video was great, and it made me a fan as well.
However, his feud with Phil Heath was petty, and him constantly doing the carrot on the stick thing with competition irritated me, and then he continues to sound preachy and mansplains. Guess he can't get out of it.
But he's extremely successful.

Reactions: MarcusAurelius
Kai became the people's champ because he still embodied old school training, and cooking his food in his dingy apartment despite having wealth.
His training video was great, and it made me a fan as well.
However, his feud with Phil Heath was petty, and him constantly doing the carrot on the stick thing with competition irritated me, and then he continues to sound preachy and mansplains. Guess he can't get out of it.
But he's extremely successful.
His last little issue with the olympia and wanting a booth for free did not do him any favors in north america, however in china and india the guy was a god when he went there.