Push/Pull/Legs routines

Physlifter

Administrator
Aug 15, 2018
How are everyone's routines?  Do we still follow the old bro split or are you advaning to push/pull/legs and small variations in between those days? It's well established now not just in literature, but in practical 'clinical' sense that training body parts twice a week, with less overall volume, but still maximizing intensity, leads to significantly more muscular growth potential than hitting body parts once a week and slaughtering them.  I could go on and on with this topic, but will save it for another topic. 

For now, I want people to share variations of their push/pull/legs/shoulders and arms/back and hamstrings type days.  We can help generate some good content for training and variance to schedules that does some fresh things for members.

So here is one of my push days:

Incline Smith Machine Press 1x6-10, 1x10-15
Nice big chest and control. Use 3-4 second negatives here. Do a thorough warm up prior.
Use deadstops on safeties right above the chest every rep.

Dumbell Press 1x6-10, 1x11-15 
Hold contraction for 1 second every rep and use a 2-3 second
negative. The goal here is to really contract the pecs, get a deep stretch, and keep back tight

Seated Machine Incline Chest Press 1x10-15
Use a 3-4 second negative and a 1 sec. pause at the bottom.
Contract up hard and feel those pecs swell up with blood.

Smith Machine Shoulder Press 1x4-8, 1x9-12
Nice big sternum and control. Use 3-4 second negatives here. Do a thorough warm up prior.
Use dead stops on safeties right above he collar bone every rep.
Use only a 70 degree incline and pause at chin level.

Dumbbell Lateral Raise 2x12-15
Hold each rep at the top for 2 seconds.  Maintain tension at bottom of repetition and do not relax.
Superset with
Rear Delt DB Raises 1x10-15, 1x15-20
Hold each rep at the top for 2 seconds. Maintain tension at bottom of repetition and do not relax.

Vbar pushdowns 1x8-12, 1x12-15, 1x15-20
Allow the elbows to flare and really squeeze the triceps as hard as possible.

Seated Leg Press Calf Raises 3x12-20
Use a 2 second contraction, 4 second negative and 4 second stretch at the bottom.
Fight to go up on your tippy toes as hard as you can.

I have 2 push, 2 pull, 2 legs, a shoulders and arms, and a back and hamstring days to ensure i'm hitting everything multiple times a week.

I've done all kinds of splits, from the bro split, to push pull legs, to full body. There's been instances when I don't have a specific training schedule and just train whatever I feel like and what is recovered enough to train again. 

Currently doing a bastardized version of Scott Stevenson's Fortitude Training.  This is typically a full body workout, for example on a lower body load day, you do some upper body pump sets and vice versa. Right now I don't have time for that, so simply do lower body days and upper body days. The split looks something like this (I don't specifically do these exercises but to give you an idea) 

The 4-day Fortitude Training split typically includes a combination of different types of workouts, each focusing on specific muscle groups and training methods. Here's a general outline:

Day 1: Upper Body - Load Training

• Warm-Up

Light cardio (5-10 minutes)
  • Dynamic stretching

[*]Chest

• Flat bench press: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

[*]Back

• Bent-over barbell row: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

[*]Shoulders

• Overhead dumbbell press: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

[*]Triceps

• Close-grip bench press: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

[*]Biceps

• Barbell curls: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

Day 2: Lower Body - Load Training

• Warm-Up

• Dynamic stretching

[*]Quads

• Squats: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

[*]Hamstrings

• Romanian deadlifts: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

[*]Calves

• Standing calf raises: 2 sets of 6-8 reps

[*]Abs

• Weighted crunches: 2 sets of 10-15 reps

Day 3: Upper Body - Muscle Rounds

• Warm-Up

• Dynamic stretching

[*]Chest

• Incline dumbbell press: 1 muscle round (6 sets of 4 reps with short rests)

[*]Back

• Pull-ups: 1 muscle round

[*]Shoulders

• Lateral raises: 1 muscle round

[*]Triceps

• Skull crushers: 1 muscle round

[*]Biceps

• Hammer curls: 1 muscle round

Day 4: Lower Body - Muscle Rounds

• Warm-Up

• Dynamic stretching

[*]Quads

• Leg press: 1 muscle round

[*]Hamstrings

• Leg curls: 1 muscle round

[*]Calves

• Seated calf raises: 1 muscle round

[*]Abs

• Hanging leg raises: 1 muscle round

Notes:

• Load Training: Focuses on heavier weights with lower reps to build strength and muscle mass.
  • Muscle Rounds: These are designed to increase muscle endurance and hypertrophy by performing 6 sets of 4 reps with very short rests (10 seconds) between sets.
  • Exercise Variation: The program encourages rotating exercises to avoid plateaus and ensure balanced muscle development.
  • Recovery: Ensure adequate rest between sessions and incorporate proper nutrition and recovery strategies to maximize results.

• Thanks
Reactions: Physlifter
Still do the old classic bro split.  But this looks pretty neat so I think i'll try some of this out.  

Arms

Legs

Chest and biceps

Shoulders and triceps

But I Need to get better and grow more, so time to make a change!!

I have always defaulted to my power lifting days and follow the push/pull/legs, but every so often when I feel that loss of motivation, I switch to a couple weeks of Bro splits for the ego to get me back on track, haha.