Rotator cuff injury?

FullyLoaded

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2018
Was doing a lot of heavier lifting the last few weeks (i know i know shouldn't chase ego) and i'm noticing a lot of clicking and some soreness in my right shoulder, particularly with doing overhead press.  @Physlifterdo you have any advice on how to deal with this so I don't hurt myself?

Hey man,

clicking can mean some inflammation of the shoulder from overuse.  Posture is very important when doing a press, ensuring your scapula are pulled back and you aren't bringing the bar down too low.

Use a smith, go very light (like 25 lbs per side), find the right bench position, use a safety bar at the chin level, and then do the exercise with 3 second negatives, pausing at the bottom, and then do the press.  You'll be light enough to adjust your position as needed, but heavy enough to get some load through the tissue to make it respond.  
If it's still painful, drop the exercise, focus on sub 90 deg front raises, laterals with cables and burn it out with sets of 12-15 2-3x/wk.  Only when it's not painful or significant clicking can you go back to doing the press again, but following the advice I gave above to ensure you are doing it correctly.

Reactions: MarcusAurelius
Hey man,

clicking can mean some inflammation of the shoulder from overuse.  Posture is very important when doing a press, ensuring your scapula are pulled back and you aren't bringing the bar down too low.

Use a smith, go very light (like 25 lbs per side), find the right bench position, use a safety bar at the chin level, and then do the exercise with 3 second negatives, pausing at the bottom, and then do the press.  You'll be light enough to adjust your position as needed, but heavy enough to get some load through the tissue to make it respond.  
If it's still painful, drop the exercise, focus on sub 90 deg front raises, laterals with cables and burn it out with sets of 12-15 2-3x/wk.  Only when it's not painful or significant clicking can you go back to doing the press again, but following the advice I gave above to ensure you are doing it correctly.
Awesome man!! I had some rotator cuff problems too and I can try that out.  I know that Dr. Mike talks about the negatives now and long length partials in training.  Hope this works for you @3ml

Last edited by a moderator:
Was doing a lot of heavier lifting the last few weeks (i know i know shouldn't chase ego) and i'm noticing a lot of clicking and some soreness in my right shoulder, particularly with doing overhead press.  @Physlifterdo you have any advice on how to deal with this so I don't hurt myself?
what physio said and maybe come bpc and tb500 for recovery?

Reactions: Physlifter