Tryptophan for satiety

OLYMPIC

I go through cycles where I can not fill satisfied no matter what I eat, then it goes a way for a few days then returns. (Carbs especially)
Its not a hypoglycemic type of hunger, just a "never fill satisfied" feeling.
Is there a trick or OTC sup that would help take the edge off?
I'm sure I'm one of a few billion or so who also experience this...LOL

Most places that sell complete amino acids lie. They leave out L-Tryptophan.

This important amino acid is required to produce serotonin in the brain which helps control feelings of satiety. Supplementing w/ it by taking it with your carbs could help reduce the amount you eat. See study below:

Tryptophan administration may enhance weight loss by some moderately obese patients on a protein-sparing modified fast (PSMF) diet, Eric Heraief, M.D, International Journal of Eating Disorders Volume 4 Issue 3, Pages 281 - 292 2006

Abstract

Drugs thought to enhance serotonin-mediated neurotransmission have been shown to diminish appetite for carbohydrates. Therefore, we examined the ability of tryptophan (TRP), serotonin's amino acid precursor, or a placebo to influence weight loss among 62 obese Swiss outpatients who were on a reducing diet [the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) Diet] which can be associated with severe carbohydrate craving. This diet provides relatively large amounts of protein (1.2-1.4 g/kg ideal body weight/day) but little carbohydrate (40 g/day or less), thus stimulating ketone body production. Its consumption also reduces the ratio of plasma TRP to the summed concentrations of the other large neutral amino acids, thereby probably diminishing brain TRP and serotonin levels. During the initial month of the PSMF diet all patients received the placebo; thereafter 30 received TRP (750 mg, twice daily, orally, for 3 months) and 32 the placebo, according to a double-blind protocol.

Among moderately obese patients (140-159% of ideal weight; n = 25), the TRP significantly enhanced weight loss (p lt;.05), especially during the first treatment month (3.4 ± 2.8 vs 7.7 ± 1.7 kg lost; means ± standard deviation) but also during the total 3-month test period (2.6 ± 2.3 vs 1.5 ± 1.6 kg lost/month). The JRP didn't modify the reported adherence to the PSMF diet. The partial efficacy of TRP among our moderately obese subjects does not presently justify its routine use as an adjunct to a PSMF diet. However, greater efficacy may be obtained with better patient selection and under metabolic conditions designed to amplify the uptake of TRP into the brain (i.e., administration along with a carbohydrate).

I posted a while back what my favorite appetite suppressant was. Sibutramine(meridia)

The fineness of the powder and apple pectin in it make the gel that forms in your belly better and it s l o w s down digestion of carbohydrates and also instantly cuts hunger (maybe 10x better then straight Psyllium Fiber which forms the base of this powder). You take this before you eat high GI foods and your blood glucose profile will be a lower GI profile.