Home made Beef Jerky

It is not difficult to make your own beef jerky! All you need is a lean cut of beef, an oven, and some time because it takes about 30 hours from start to finish.

Adapted from Michael Symon’s Carnivore

Makes about 30 jerky pieces

Macros for the whole recipe: 534g Protein/Fat 128g/Carbs 17/Calories 3516

Per jerky: 18g Protein/ Fat 4g/Carbs 1g/Calories 117

Ingredients:

4 lbs beef eye of round, fat trimmed off

3 tablespoons kosher salt

4 teaspoons sugar

4 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoon onion powder

2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoon chipotle powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

*optional* a few dashes of liquid smoke 24 hours before cooking the jerky

Here are the step by steps for making the jerky. after these 4 steps i will post the cooking steps

Prep Steps)

1)Trim off all the fat from the beef

2) Slice the beef along the grain into strips. It needs to be about 1 inch thick by 3 inches long. You’ll want the strips to resemble fat stubby fingers. It will cut into 30 pieces- Don’t worry about the strips being too large…there will be some shrinkage during the cooking process!

3) In a large mixing bowl, combine all the spices and salt (and liquid smoke if you are using it).

4) Season the beef with this spice mixture and make sure it coats all of the strips. Cover the beef with plastic wrap (or put in a freezer bag) and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Cooking steps

Cooking the jerky

1. Preheat oven to 250 F (130 C)

2. Place the strips on a baking rack on a baking sheet. To ensure an even drying, make sure the strips are not touching or overlapping the other strips of beef. Bake for about 3.5-4 hours until the beef is fairly dry.

3. Once your jerky is done, let it cool completely before storing in a container or it’ll form condensation, which will destroy your drying attempts. Keep the jerky at room temperature in an airtight container (or freezer bag). The jerky will last for several months.

Makes about 30 jerky pieces

Macros for the whole recipe: Protein 534g/Fat 128g/Carbs 17g/Calories 3516

Per jerky: Protein 18g/ Fat 4g/Carbs 1g/Calories 117

• Thanks 1

I have a dehydrator. I use extra lean grnd beef with the help of a " jerky gun".

Here's a typical seasoning list, per 1 # meat, but other then the liquid smoke and salt which are your prime preservatives,  you can get creative with the seasoning and mix and match.

1 tsp liquid smoke                                        1 tsp garlic powder                                       2 tsp salt ( i use the Himalayan pink stuff, but any will do)                                   1 tsp onion powder                                       1 tsp ground black pepper 

Ive added in soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, franks red hot.... the wetter you make your mix, the longer it takes to dry.  

Go to a butcher and ask I’m to slice you inside round for jerky meat and if he has an old school Berkel sliced it will be number 22 on the dial.

much better then cutting with the grain using eye of round.  Damn that must be a bit chewy, lol.

personally I would not store it out in the normal air without using sodium nitrate and I woukd make sure it is really dry before sealing it into packages.  The water activity level needs to be below 0.83 to be shelf stable.  If you dry it pretty much rock hard you will get there.  The finger thing with eye of round would likely hold too much moisture and you will get Mold eventually.  Also if you use liquid smoke it will drop the ph in the product which will slow bacterial growth, so even if it’s still too wet, it will take longer to Mold.

i would store it in paper bags in the cupboard if you have ac in the house or live someplace dry like the praries.  If you live in southern Ontario well good luck at this time of year if you don’t give ac, lol.

in case you are wondering, I own a butcher shop and produce around 300 lbs of jerky a week.

If you use sodium nitrate it will taste a lot better plus turn red when done.  This can be purchased at the same butcher you get the meat from as long as he has a smokehouse.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rosconow said:

I have a dehydrator. I use extra lean grnd beef with the help of a " jerky gun".

Here's a typical seasoning list, per 1 # meat, but other then the liquid smoke and salt which are your prime preservatives,  you can get creative with the seasoning and mix and match.

1 tsp liquid smoke                                        1 tsp garlic powder                                       2 tsp salt ( i use the Himalayan pink stuff, but any will do)                                   1 tsp onion powder                                       1 tsp ground black pepper 

Ive added in soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, franks red hot.... the wetter you make your mix, the longer it takes to dry.  

If you get sodium nitrate from a butcher and sodiium phosphate, it will be a lot firmer.  More like big chief beef jerky, instead of being as crumbly.

• Like 1